Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By gadgetjunkie
Lee,
The training I mentioned in my previous post was with Clear Prop and they were great.
If I was being picky I would probably say had more instructors than I would have liked (although training with a few different ones I think is a good thing) and rarely was a lesson running on time, but I think those issues are common with most schools.

One of the things I liked was the option of taking some of my training at their other location at Redlands (near Swindon). This gave me some short-strip grass experience which has served me well since.
After getting to know the school I felt sufficiently confident to buy lessons in blocks of 10 hours, which reduced the hourly rate.
There is no need to buy a share to go solo but they do have shares should your circumstances change, the advantage being cheaper training rates.
I went down this route and reckon I saved more than I lost when selling the share a year after buying it, I also got to go flying for £35 /hr when I got my licence.

I have flown a Eurostar, and now fly something Eurostarish but would still recommend the C42 as a great aircraft to learn on, which I feel gives good grounding to move on to various types should you wish. My suspicion with training on a Eurostar is that you might find it a little more difficult moving to something a bit different.

As I said previously, more than happy to meet up and have a chat over a cuppa.
By Genghis the Engineer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
In terms of where it sits, the C42 probably is a particularly suitable trainer, as it sits around halfway between the "hot ship" CT and Eurostar, and the more pedestrian types such as the X'Air and Thruster. So, it's likely that somebody who has trained on a C42 will find it easy to convert to most other things.

One other obvious comment nobody's made yet - the most important thing in the whole process is a good instructor who you get on with.

G
By leiafee
Haven't heard anyone who's flown C42s have much bad to say about them.

I've only flown one once or twice and it was instantly easy.

I thought the throttle position down between ones knees a tad odd but not so odd as to be a hindrance.

But stable, easy, docile, and less draughty than the dear little X'Air!
By DarrenL
The Light Sport Flying Club & School would appear to be the sister business of the UK distributor for Evektor, Light Sport Aviation Limited. So I suppose it's not surprising that they want to sell shares in the aircraft that they are distributing too.

I find it just a tad dodgy that the "deal" was not made clear from the start though. You've probably had a lucky escape Lee.
By Lee Savell
Again some really sound advice, thank you, I'm going to ring Clear Prop at Blackbushe tomorrow to arrange a visit at the weekend.

I am also going to make a specific appointment to go and chat with my current school too, hopefully with another option up my sleeve if they aren't interested in matching other schools model.
By Lee Savell
gadgetjunkie wrote:Lee,
The training I mentioned in my previous post was with Clear Prop and they were great.
If I was being picky I would probably say had more instructors than I would have liked (although training with a few different ones I think is a good thing) and rarely was a lesson running on time, but I think those issues are common with most schools.

One of the things I liked was the option of taking some of my training at their other location at Redlands (near Swindon). This gave me some short-strip grass experience which has served me well since.
After getting to know the school I felt sufficiently confident to buy lessons in blocks of 10 hours, which reduced the hourly rate.
There is no need to buy a share to go solo but they do have shares should your circumstances change, the advantage being cheaper training rates.
I went down this route and reckon I saved more than I lost when selling the share a year after buying it, I also got to go flying for £35 /hr when I got my licence.

I have flown a Eurostar, and now fly something Eurostarish but would still recommend the C42 as a great aircraft to learn on, which I feel gives good grounding to move on to various types should you wish. My suspicion with training on a Eurostar is that you might find it a little more difficult moving to something a bit different.

As I said previously, more than happy to meet up and have a chat over a cuppa.

I will certainly take you up on that offer, thank you.
By Boxkite
DarrenL wrote:The Light Sport Flying Club & School would appear to be the sister business of the UK distributor for Evektor, Light Sport Aviation Limited. So I suppose it's not surprising that they want to sell shares in the aircraft that they are distributing too. ...

My suspicions also. I wonder who sets up the groups so that only 'licence holders' can buy in.......
By kghjfg
I was discussing this thread with someone at the airfield today, and they suggested that it doesn't cost THAT much to add a student to insurance !
So if you offered to top their insurance up, you'd save quite a bit. :D

Also.. 10th shares at £50 a month. That's £500 a month, can you run a micro light for £500 a month ?
plus 40ph wet, (on a training aircraft that has 10 students on it ? It's going to have plenty in its engine fund isn't it ;-) )

Was just an interesting conversation, that's all.

It'd be an interesting conversation with one of the student share owners. Not from a pious point of view or anything, just to understand their position.

I know one of those "you give them 10k, and after a while flying you get a license thingy, and you show this to you friends, but then you don't actually fly again, still, box to tick isn't it ? impresses the girls" people.

This business model would have worked fine for him, he loses 10k down the back of the sofa sometimes.

So I wonder, is it simply that their students are "money is not an object" students.

Would explain it.
By Lee Savell
Dave, I think you hit the nail on the head, having met some of the members, they are certainly those that are likely to have a MUCH higher disposable income than myself.

I have spoken with Clear Prop today....

They are ditching the hire option next month, due to the high demand, the logic didn't figure with me, anyway, that's not the end of the world.

They are converting the hire C42 to syndicate shares, 1/16th is £3500 plus £40 pm and £35 wet thereafter.
Plus I can go solo without the share.

All sounds good to me.
By Genghis the Engineer
By my reckoning, those values inflate the real costs and value of the aeroplane by at least 50%. Somebody is making a healthy profit there from what should legally be a not-for-profit syndicate.

In my opinion, learn on the school aeroplane, then buy as sole owner or into a "real" syndicate. You'll learn more sharing the real care of the aircraft as well.

G
By jollyrog
Ask yourself if the insurance company will pay out 16 x £3,500 if someone totals this aircraft. Find out what the "agreed value" is on the insurance policy.

You may, through no fault of your own, lose half your investement due to someone else's error.