Post your pics, videos and vlogs here
By CaptChaos
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Whilst on a business trip I popped into the above facility in Tucson. It gave me a chance to quickly try out my new Canon 450D with kit lens, but only using it in snap mod as I haven't had a chance to play with it before. The thing that surprised/annoyed me was the number of times the flash popped up when on auto and very bright sunshine. I don't know if it was trying compensate for the bright light in background?

This was a pic of the Boneyard from coach. Apparently they only have 3000 there now, down from a peak of 7000.
By wessex boy
Looks a great museum, lovely Pics!

To stop the flash popping up switch it to 'P' Mode, it is still fully auto, but you have to put the flash up Manually
By CaptChaos
I tried P mode and it still happended occasionally. The "no flash" mode obviously stopped it. Due to the sun, I had a baseball hat on and it the flash kept whacking it!

BTW the Hurri looked very unrealistic. I suppose it may have been a replica.

It was nice to see some Brit aricraft represent. The Green Gnat nearly threw me whilst the Shak was in a restricted area.
By wessex boy
Ahhh that's odd as in the manuel it states that the flash will not automatically deploy when in P mode.

I spend a lot of time playing with the compensation on it, much more than any other camera...I suppose it encourages you to play around more
By strangely brown
Nice piccies.

What the hell is the little Black and Yellow thing?

SB
By CaptChaos
Called the Bumble Bee, it was built and flown to claim the smallest aeroplane in the world title, until Baby Bird took back the record. Bumble Bee II was built and got the record back but rashed from 400ft when the engine failed and was written off.

It looks more bulky than a Cri-Cri but the dimensions are smaller.
By Tall_Guy_In_a_PA28
I will be in Tucson in a couple of weeks and have approx four hours to do as much of the Pima museum and Boneyard as possible - preferably the best bits.

Any tips to get the most out of my time there?
By CaptChaos
Hi, we did not do the Boneyard trip but drove round it the outside. As it is a military base, I think they only do one hour bus trips twice a week with no cameras allowed (at least that's what the tourist people said).

Pima would certainly be worth a visit. There is a guided talk on a small land train thing we didn't do but would give a good overview. Most exhibits are outside and on sandy gravel so don't wear flips flops! The fortress hanger often has vets in their that flew WWII missions and worth a chat.

The cafe closes at 3:30pm if you need refreshments.

The resticted area on the left (as you look from the entrance) had the Shak and what to be a knackered U2.

Not sure where you are staying but allow enought time to get across Tucson; it is very spread out and slow to get across because of the lights. For example to go West to East (Harley dealer to Sabino Canyon) took 1hr 15 mins.

Enjoy your trip!
By Tall_Guy_In_a_PA28
Thanks for that. We are staying in the desert, West of the interstate 10.
By CaptChaos
We were out that way, in the JW Starr Pass Marriott. It was about 30 minutes drive from there. Watch out for the road works on I10! (you will actually be crossing I10 rather than going on it.)