Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By exfirepro
PaulB wrote:Sorry for numpty question that may have been answered already on one of the previous 17 pages, but is there any difference in the way that PAW traffic is displayed -vs- ADSB out traffic? (Would like to know that both bits are working.)

Hi Paul/Ian/All,

Further to my earlier misinformation about the significance of the # brackets round callsigns, please allow me to make amends. If you want to check the source of received signals on your PAW:-

Login to the home page on your PAW via your Pilotaware WiFi on http:// 192.168.1.1
    Go to the [Traffic] page
    If a traffic entry has a squawk code and a distance in km it is ADSB
    If it has a squawk code but a '-' in the distance column, it is Mode S (or exceptionally CAT on the ground - which will also show a very high 'Sig' number.
    If it has no squawk code, a distance in km and a 'Sig' entry of '0' it is a P3i contact

In practice ADSB and P3i both show up the same on SD and presumably other tablet displays.

Hopefully right this time Lee, :)

Regards

Peter
By cockney steve
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Good try, Gaznav So, you're comparing a Turbot, Chips and all the trimmings, with a nice glass of Chardonnay, and Silver Service,
with
The local award-winning takeaway chippy who mans the range himself, buys-in and preps the fare himself, and does not have an income stream that is not dependent on the food he serves and the regulars returning.

Mr. Stein offers a prestige name and a prestige price to match, he runs a very successful business.

The local fellow offers a consistently superb product (his livelihood depends on it) no frills, at a very modest no -frills price.

2 broadly similar products, 2 very different offerings..
Steve N, Paul S and a few hundred others would appear to understand that "dear" and "best" and" Value-for-Money" are not necessarily synonymous.

no cigar1
By Rob P
gaznav wrote:If you want to be able to view anything then £259 Ipad mini series 2 (the cheaper of the minis).

Ideally you'll want a Nexus that doesn't need wafting in front of a cool air vent ever few miles.

Maybe £100?

Rob P
By gaznav
Ok, a 16gb Nexus 7 at £109.99 from Argos, plus the PAW with a £20 powerpack at £211.98, still makes £321.98. Then add the software and its still quite a bit of cash and you need annual subscriptions.

Then you have the jerry-rigged wiring all over your cockpit...

I'm not belittling the work the PAW team have done, it's just that in my opinion I don't think it is quite right yet for what I think I need. Seeing a handful of PAW users, a few trial GA ADS-B aircraft and some airliners on a tablet is not what I perceive I need for the areas I tend to fly in - there would be many aircraft that PAW would not 'see'. Quite simply it isn't worth the not insignificant investment I would have to make.

Gaz
By TheArb
Gaz,

it's an evolutionary process. Pilotaware has broken the logjam. Good things come to those who wait. Ask the wife.

Sit back and enjoy the ride.
By Private Jet
Gaz, even if you don't want to go to the expense of a tablet etc, having a PAW in the the aircraft makes you slightly less likely to be in a collision with one of us who does use the full setup. We're getting a bit of interest from some of the local microlight fraternity who have twigged that a waterproof bag with a PAW and an £8 power bank from Lidl gives a bit more protection than they have currently.

Has everyone got theirs yet? I ordered 2 (order #285) and still no sign.
By TonyC
Private Jet wrote:Has everyone got theirs yet? I ordered 2 (order #285) and still no sign.

They say first come first delivered. It's not the case unless the order number are incorrect. As i know two people in the 300s order number get theirs first. Part of the reason i cancelled.
By Private Jet
Thanks Neil. TonyC, I don't quite follow you - did you cancel because other people with higher order numbers got theirs first?
By TonyC
Private Jet wrote:Thanks Neil. TonyC, I don't quite follow you - did you cancel because other people with higher order numbers got theirs first?

No as a friend of mine has one i can use. It did play a small part in the decision sad i know.
By jollyrog
Help please anybody?

Has anyone managed to get their PAW interfaced with a Trig TT21? If so, I need to know the following -

What settings you made in the Trig
Settings in the PAW
Interface method (cable) used

I thought I'd got it right, but got nowhere.

Thanks.
By exfirepro
Hi jollyrog,

I use a TT21 to provide ADSB, but it was set up in 'pre-PAW' days, so uses a different GPS source.

You would probably get a faster response by re-posting your enquiry in the Technical Support section over on the official support site at forum.pilotaware.com.

Regards

Peter R
Mode S Tester
Last edited by exfirepro on Mon May 23, 2016 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jollyrog liked this