Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By leiafee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
...it almost feels like I have and it's just from soaking in airfield-ness for days.

Some too-large-number-of weeks ago my trim cable let go when I was doing the walkaround. The fact this happened on the first day the wind and ground had been suitable for flying after the windiest, wettest winter since I got the little X'Air made me something close to incandescent with frustration, but on calmer reflection it didn't look a hard job to replace. Until the replacement arrived minus the UK mod and needed heavy duty soldering and potching, and when I got the covers off to rerun it I found a cracking fuel hose and two broken baton tips, and then everyone started telling me what a dog of a job refitting the skins would be, and in any case I'd found an eyelet tearing out of them and then I decided that since it was all in bits anyway I really would find that drizzling drip of a coolant leak this time and maybe even sort out the rats nest that is the electrics behind the panel.

But I've been up there every free weekend plugging away. Learning everything from scratch because before I got the X'Air everything was an engineer's problem and the most DIY I ever did was the odd bit of dado trunking and bit of Cat5 termination and I don't even drive a car so mechanically it's been all theory up until now.

And up until last year my partner in crime was the one who knew everything about everything mechanical whereas me on my own I have to Google everything from "how to use a torque spanner" to "how to disconnect the battery" and end up buying everything direct from the kit supplier then wondering if this skin lacing really IS just lightswitch-cord.

And now I'm the same colour in the face as the little X'Air's newly replaced skins from wind and sun and the contortions under the pod and heaving on the skins and I've just tried to comb my hair and found that the 'tangle' is actually a one inch length of trim cable and half a ziptie, and I'll sit on my hands in work tomorrow because the gunk under there seemed to have dyed my fingernails black for the forseeable and the **** is literally hanging out of my trousers which failed to pass their impromptu Betts test, courtesy of the fuel drain tap as I slithered out from under the pod. And of course it probably took me five times as long as someone who'd already known what they were doing!

But Rhubarb is delivered unto her inspector and I'm happy.

I got a microlight because it was cheaper to be out from under the licensed engineer requirements, not because I thought I'd enjoyed the DIY. But I do.

I've drunk gallons of coffee, scrounged tools and advice from practically everyone on the field and soon I'll be flying again.

But meantime this feels almost as good.
Peter Mundy, XX, Aerials and 12 others liked this
By PeteSpencer
Leia: Your stuff is always a joy to read:

Have you ever thought about shoving it all in a book: I'd buy it!!

(After you've published your 'how to learn to fly ' thread on Studes forum of course......)

Peter
Leia - I'm sure your not stuck for willing helpers at Old Farm, but if you do need a extra pair of hands for any tricky jobs, feel free to drop me a PM or email. I'm only about 20 minutes away (at a guess). I used to service my own car and am generally fairly DIY capable. I could easily pop over for an hour or so. Just let me know. Glad to see you've got Rhubarb on the way tho.

If you've not discovered it, then Swarfega usually gets hands clean.
morticiaskeeper wrote:.. I've been doing surface mount raspberry Pi boards all weekend!

perhaps you should paint some nice white Greek 'pi's on Rhubarb's raspberry .. :)

[ISTR in Richard Feynman's autobiog, he tells the tale of painting some of his own more obscure formulae on the side of the battered old family camper van, and some student (not knowing who he was) on some campsite recognising what they were and admiring the wit of having them there]
I knew I enjoyed tinkering before I got involved in the Kitfox but I too have really learned a lot in the process of working through it's many foibles! I look forward to the satisfaction resulting in it's full return to service!
By Paul_Sengupta
What I've learnt in 15 years of Bulldog ownership is that it's a b*gg*r to work on, would take up all my annual leave if I let it, and it's 6 or 7 times faster, just in man hours, never mind calendar time, to pay someone else to do it.
Great as always. I suppose I learned most working on motorcycles. You can hate them when they're in bits, won't go back together properly, or won't start when you've done everything you reasonably can. But then, when you do finally get it right, and they accelerate smoothly up the road with a crisp engine note, then all is forgiven and it seems worthwhile.

Then go for a beer.