Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By davef77
In Alan Cassidy's book, Better areobatics, he says this about Pushing out (inverted) from a vertical down line.

once you master this type of figure your self-respect will grow disproportionately

Today was my day :D

Fortunately, to keep me grounded, my flick rolls were rubbish :lol:

Intermediate level aerobatics is challenging, and a lot of fun! 8)
Spooky, Morten liked this
By Human Factor
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
once you master this type of figure your self-respect will grow disproportionately

Funnily enough, when I tried it my eyeballs seemed to grow disproportionately. :shock:
By davef77
Human Factor wrote:

Funnily enough, when I tried it my eyeballs seemed to grow disproportionately. :shock:

Me too :shock: :cyclopsani: :lol:
By davef77
Spooky wrote:We need videos!

Your wish is my command :D

Here is a video of me practicing my Intermediate Free Known sequence this week.

If you skip to about 5:28 you can see a push from vertical.

For the anti-OHJ crowd beware, there is some footage of me doing a dangerous OHJ at the end too :D

Oh, there is also a fairly serious, from a competition perspective, deliberate mistake - I change direction halfway through :shock:

I turned the wrong way out of the humpty :(
Morten, Lockhaven, Ian Melville and 1 others liked this
By foxmoth
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
For me it was not pushing from the vertical as such that I found unnerving, doing that from a stall turn was fine, it was when I started from erect to push all the way to inverted, that I found very strange initially! :pale:
Dave,

What is that black knob right in the middle in front of you that looks like it slides from side to side? A canopy release, perhaps?

Great video. I've only been in a Pitts as a passenger a couple of times, but it was a memorable experience.

Paul.
By davef77
Paultheparaglider wrote:Dave,

What is that black knob right in the middle in front of you that looks like it slides from side to side?

Great video. I've only been in a Pitts as a passenger a couple of times, but it was a memorable experience.

Paul.

The black knob is the canopy lock. There is a bracket on top of the coming and the curved bars support a locking mechanism. You slide the knob across to lock the curved bars down into the bracket which holds the canopy in-place.

The Pitts is nearly always a memorable experience. :D
I adore flying it. It is literally a boyhood dream for me 8)
By davef77
foxmoth wrote:For me it was not pushing from the vertical as such that I found unnerving, doing that from a stall turn was fine, it was when I started from erect to push all the way to inverted, that I found very strange initially! :pale:

I have flown all of the pieces of an outside loop from the top, but not all together yet - so that delight is yet to come for me.

For competition purposes, I don't need to do it yet, but I will soon. Outside loops starting erect at the top are classed as "Advanced" in competition terms.

I expect to give that a go in my next few flights.

I am pretty comfortable now at -3g (the limit for my aeroplane) so it is just a matter of making sure that I don't have too much speed and so exceed that. Or push too hard and do an inverted high speed stall. :)

I am having a blast :thumleft: