Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Fly Into the Duxford Airshows in 2016

IWM Duxford is once more arranging for pilots to fly in to the airshows this year, after a break due to a change of policy.
All airshow visitors must book their tickets in advance and landing slots must also be booked at the same time.

The American Airshow is on Saturday and Sunday, May 28th and 29th. Flying Legends is on Saturday and Sunday 9th and 10th July 2016. Bookings for tickets and landing slots is now open for both shows.

The Duxford Air Show is on September 10th and 11th, but is not yet open for bookings.

Contrary to the practice of previous years, you can only book on line. Please do not call Duxford tower to arrange your slot.

To book a slot and buy tickets, please first of all send an email to
airtraffic@iwm.org.uk
You will get an automatic reply including link to the Yellow AIC, which you must read before booking a landing slot and a second link to the booking page. On the second page, scroll to the bottom to find the button for pilots’ slot bookings. Follow the pages until the slot booking is complete. You will need to enter the promotional code AIRSHOWLANDING. Return to the first page of the booking process to book you airshow entry tickets.

Any problems should be referred to the box office +44 (0) 1223 499 353.

The booking system is brand new - please be patient with any teething troubles.

The airfield team are delighted that pilots can once again fly in to the airshows – let’s look forward to an enjoyable and safe year of display flying.

I’m a part time FISO, just doing my bit to make sure the GA community are aware of this good news.

Alan.
T67M, jollyrog, Highland Park and 4 others liked this
Hi Alan,

This is fantastic news! The family and I are quite keen to do this but we're slightly worried about losing out on the landing fee + admission fees if weather precludes flying in on the day. Would that be the case, since it's all pay-up-front?

Cheers!
By T67M
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
alanevans wrote:Take up on landing slots for the May Airshow has been slower than usual. In contrast to the last few years, you CAN fly into the Duxford airshows this year.

I would have booked a slot, but I'll only just be back in the country from the USA and thus at risk of jet-lag, and the share-o-plane may be out for maintenance so I'm having to miss this one. :cry: I hope to be up for Flying Legends though. :D
Mournkaye:

I'm afraid that pre-payment is IWM policy now. I believe there is a refund policy, but it has not been tested forcancellation due weather. You can certainly drive in using your airshow tickets, if you have to change your plans.

Another idea would be to leave booking your slot until a few days before the show, when you know the weather prognosis. However, slot choice may be more limited. I would not recommend this for Flying Legends, which gets booked up quite early.

Sorry I can't be more helpful. IWM will review the various booking policies at the end of the season.

Alan.
Mournkaye liked this
By PeteSpencer
Highland Park wrote:I flew in last Sunday and for those who haven't done so, you really must. Very welcoming and no hassle at all, albeit it wasn't an air show or fly-in.

Very true : there's so much to see and the refurbished American Museum is open now.

In the old days I flew into the airshows regularly and there is a smug satisfaction at the end of the show flying out over the gridlocked M11 as punters struggle to leave.

I don't fly into Airshows any more as I'm usually stewarding on the Civvy Airliners and the briefing is at 8am often before the early morning mists have lifted at Knettishall.

I'm on both days at end of May show: come and say Hi: I'll try to remember my Flyer lanyard as well as my DAS ID.

I do think the pay in advance idea (new this year) which was in response to Shoreham and heavy financial losses due to weather cancellations in the past , does penalise pilots but there will be a review as Alan says at the end of the season by IWM.

If nobody else does I'll bring it up.

Peter
Every year for many years I flew into Flying Legends and occasionally the other air shows. It's a brilliant day out and a chance for non-flying pax to experience a fantastic day and win them over to aviation. I was very disappointed when the ability to fly in on the morning of the airshow and depart after it was withdrawn.
So, it is really great that it is now possible to fly in on the day again. Thank you.

I could understand the financial issues with supplying minibuses for transporting pilots and pax from airside to the public area when weather might prevent many aircraft from arriving and not financially contributing to the cost.
I thus accept paying a landing fee in advance which, in the event of non-attendance of aircraft due to weather, would more than pay for the hired minibuses but I am not prepared to pre-pay £31+ for each airshow admission ticket as, in the event of bad weather causing me to abandon flying in, I would not be driving in.

If IWM do review their policy on this then I, for one, would be very grateful.

Thanks,

Amy
By Paul_Sengupta
I'm in two minds over this. Airshows these days are pretty much sold out in advance, and you can't buy, or are not allowed to buy tickets on the day. This change seemed to come with the Vulcan bringing capacity crowds to any show where it appeared. I guess there are still capacity crowds at the shows and only advance ticket sales are allowed to account for, or limit, the numbers.

However I guess I few tens of fly-in visitors won't make an awful lot of difference to the numbers, one way or the other.
My personal view - and I'm in no way trying to represent IWM or the Airfield Management here: I was very sorry when fly-in was withdrawn. The financial problem was very real (also because the Government financial support was cut drastically) and some pilots were abusing the facility by multiple booking. The cancellation/no-show level was always significant for the May and September airshows, even when weather around the UK and near Continent was not a factor. My suggestion at the time was to propose to continue to allow fly-in, but on a non-refundable landing fee basis and a small increase from £25 to £30. So I was delighted when fly-ins were again allowed this year. The buy-tickets-in-advance is an overall IWM policy since last year. Commercially it looks OK, as last year's buy-in-advance airshows were a sell outs. However, I do understand the point made by posters above.

I will ensure IWM see all of the relevant posts about this topic.

Not just for these financial reasons, but also for the sheer enjoyment of watching exciting airshows, lets keep our fingers crossed for good weather.

Must go - I'm working at Dux today :-)

Alan.
By Cowshed
A group of us are planning to fly into Duxford tomorrow (Sunday) from Gloucester. Really looking forward to it – I haven’t been to Duxford since I was a teenager (too long ago) and it’s going to be much more rewarding arriving by air. It will be my first proper cross country since getting my licence and my first time over to ‘that side’ of the country.
By PeteSpencer
Cowshed wrote:A group of us are planning to fly into Duxford tomorrow (Sunday) from Gloucester. Really looking forward to it – I haven’t been to Duxford since I was a teenager (too long ago) and it’s going to be much more rewarding arriving by air. It will be my first proper cross country since getting my licence and my first time over to ‘that side’ of the country.

Don't forget the Land Warfare part of the museum tucked away at the western end: A long walk I'll grant you but well worth the effort..

Peter