Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By ClearOfCloud
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Apologies if this has been covered already.

The FI requires CPL knowledge but does anyone know if you have to do an approved groundschool or whether you can self-study and simply apply to sit the exams?

Regardless of the answer to that one; does anyone have recommendations for books/software/online resources for the CPL theory? I'm not necessarily looking for a recommendation for theory providers - more the supplementary or alternative sources that you've used. Some light reading to ease me back into study ;-)

ClearOfCloud
By ClearOfCloud
@joe-fbs will keep an eye out for that

@SteveC .....even though the exams results are just "proof of knowledge" rather than to be used for the grant of a CPL?
By Capt Edmund
Yep. For CPL(A) you need 25hrs of accredited Groundschool and a referral for the exams. I'm 3 weeks into doing mine for exactly the same reason. Went for Caledonian as they seemed cheapest and did Groundschool at Leicester near me. Notes seem reasonable-not that I'd know any different.

Give me a nod if you want to talk about it.
By David Wood
The TK syllabus a mixture of information that is interesting and nice to know together with much that is utterly irrelevant and of little or no value to you as an FI. Unless the content has radically changed since I did mine about seven years ago I'd say that if you are doing them purely as part of the process of becoming an FI (as I was) you might want to decide quite carefully how you set about learning for the exams. For the first exams I did I was terribly keen and learned far more than was required, much of which was of no value to me at all. By the time I'd got to the last exams I was very much more targeted in what I learned. Although one hesitates to encourage question-bank learning, there is a lot to be said for being familiar with the sort of questions asked.
By Watto
Be careful relying (or planning to) on question banks.... changes are afoot in EASA to move away from the reliance on question banks.

I'm sure the past questions that are currently available will be useful though regardless of changes.
By ClearOfCloud
Thanks all.
Looks like I have to research groundschools a bit more . Not a huge choice in Ireland and most of their marketing material is aimed at the ATPL market.

As for the studying and question bank approachesapproaches - as with everything it's a case of balance:-)
By AFKAE
The advice I was given is go for the full ATPL exam set and then there is nothing else you have to do. Was advised the difference between CPL and ATPL theory was about 10% more effort.
By Sir Morley Steven
You don't need it to teach the LAPL. You need the theory to teach the PPL and a CPL to teach the CPL. You couldn't make it up. That's the CAA's job.
By ClearOfCloud
@Sir Morley Steven sure t'wouldn't be any fun if it wasn't complicated.@AFKAE I've only ever heard that the CPL is a significantly lower standard....but do the ATPLs if you have any aspirations
By Bathman
My two cents. If all your doing is looking at being an FI then don't bother with the CPL theory.

Or if your meet the hours requirement now for the FI rating andcare thinking about cpl/it still do the FI rating first.

I know two FI who don't have cpl TK and both of them work full time as instructors.

The only thing a FI without cpl TK cant teach is the ppl. They can teach everything else nppl, LAPL, SEP, TMG, slmg, ssea, microlight

You can also do trial flights and one hour dual with an instructor.

Plus tailwheel, turbocharged, pressuriation, VP prop and retractable undercarriage differences traning.

Also after getting the restiction lifted you can teach for the IMC, IR, MEP, and aerobatics.

And with the airlines hiring two a penny at the moment we are starting to see a but of an instructor shortage.

If you PM me I can put you in touch with the two FI who work full time without cpl tk
By nickwilcock
Unless the ANO has been amended recently, to provide remunerated flight instruction for the NPPL (SSEA) an instructor must hold an FI rating (including having passed the CPL exams) as the EASA prerequisite only applies to instruction for the LAPL(A) and all associated ratings if a pilot has not passed the CPL exams. There are no similar easements for the LAPL(H).

Instruction for the NPPL(SLMG) and NPPL (Microlight) are as regulated by the ANO.

A CRI/SPA may provide instruction only to existing licence holders, subject to the relevant requirements for specific ratings.

An instructor providing flight instruction for the IMCR or IR(R) must meet existing ANO requirements; however, the CAA has agreed that the IFR flight time prerequisite shall not apply.

Of course 'grandfather rights' apply to flight instructors who held instructional privileges BEFORE Part-FCL came into effect.
By ClearOfCloud
Thanks for pointing out the non-TK options. FI opportunities around here are fairly thin on the ground so I think, in my case, having the TK to instruct to the full PPL(A) is probably the wiser approach.

I'm a little away from the hours requirement for the FI and unless I make a break-through in my battles for the Class1 the CPL is off the cards.
DavidC liked this
By Bathman
nickwilcock wrote:Unless the ANO has been amended recently, to provide remunerated flight instruction for the NPPL (SSEA) an instructor must hold an FI rating (including having passed the CPL exams)

Could you just confirm that Nick as that is not what it says on the NPPL webpage

http://www.nationalprivatepilotslicence.co.uk/faq.php

http://nationalprivatepilotslicence.co. ... L%20TK.pdf