Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
leiafee wrote:Or maybe we find a way to fund an extra day like the Fly2Help or YES or BCC or Air League or whoevers flying days and take as many people flying as poss!

Rather than "fund", why don't we just "do"?

Why don't we arrange a series of "days" in different parts of the country where we invite various staff, and perhaps residents, of hospices and or other centres (for example the injured servicemen thing we did) to come flying?

But for anyone organising, please make them on weekends like the BCC was rather than weekdays as some charity flying events are.
Dave W, Peter Mundy liked this
By leiafee
Paul_Sengupta wrote:Why don't we arrange a series of "days" in different parts of the country where we invite various staff, and perhaps residents, of hospices and or other centres (for example the injured servicemen thing we did) to come flying?

I like that!
By mmcp42
I must say I like the idea of something that will touch many (as did Keef) rather than a lump sum to one person, who may then give up flying
Awful Charlie liked this
By Waveflyer
With others, I have organised similar events in the past which had fabulous support from the forum.

We wanted to make it a regular feature but arranging effective insurance cover was beyond us.

If somebody from the insurance industry could step forward with a solution that would be helpful.

Please don't let this post divert the direction of this thread and all of the good suggestions.
By cockney steve
How about a bulk-buy /reprint of "stick and Rudder" With an appropriately inscribed flysheet inserted, dedicated to Keef's memory.
As this is regarded as the Taildraggers' "bible" it seems apposite. A copy to be given to every pilot gaining their Wings and being / making themselves known /referred to Flyer forum.

I realise this is small-scale, but it would ,hopefully, be sustainable,at least through thr lifetimes of those whose lives were touched by this lovely gentleman.
Remember, also, this forum was close to his heart.

The biggest problem would be ongoing administration of the legacy.
By Ridders
So very sad to learn the news, which came as quite a shock. I had woken up that morning thinking about him.

He brightened so many lives that he touched - he was always there on the phone for assistance and to guide me when I called.

Farewell Keef.

You are missed greatly, by so very many.
ChampChump, XX, Iceman and 5 others liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
Regarding insurance, it's just a case of not making it an official event under any particular banner. We just invite people to go flying with us, on a certain day from a certain airfield.

Someone local to the airfield can do the hard work of finding out/deciding who to invite.
cockney steve wrote:Remember, also, this forum was close to his heart.

The biggest problem would be ongoing administration of the legacy.

Good idea, Steve. A slight alternative on the same theme could be a free first year subscription to Flyer funded by our donations and awarded in Keith's honour to any UK pilot gaining a PPL of any variant. That way, Ian might be happy to handle all the admin, and it would give him the opportunity to get ongoing subscriptions.

I've no idea of the number of new licences issued each year as to whether this would be feasible. Perhaps someone familiar with the numbers could kindly advise.

Paul.
By Jason P
Can't really add anything to this other than to express my sadness at his passing - though I'd never met him, he was a constant presence in this community and a bountiful source of wisdom, humour and knowledge.

Godspeed, Keef.
dont come here that often these days (been grounded with kidney issues) and then when I do I find this sad news. Keef to me was a fairminded superstar . The world is a lesser place without him.
JM
By PeteSpencer
If anybody's contemplating flying in to Rougham I can give lifts to 3 people to Funeral: I live 5 mins from Rougham Airfield ATM.

BUT:

I'm leaving my house at 1040 latest ( so Rougham 10.45 latest) and :

I may not be able to stay for the bun fight (stuff on in the afternoon: depends on length of service etc.)

Peter
By Paul_Sengupta
I'm afraid I won't be able to be there for the funeral, I have a bout of flu, been in bed since Easter. :(

Please just give a nod from me. I only met M once, I don't know if she'd know who I was, so not much point passing on my condolences.