Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By hatzflyer
In view of the makeover and the increasing questions from new owners and groups seeking advice isn't it time for a dedicated forum ?

It might save time on a lot of the most asked questions. :D
By jerry_atrick
Ones like:
- What planes should I buy?
- Should I go for a share or outright purchase - or just stay renting?
- What costs can I expect?
- Why should I go one route over the other (permit v CoA)?
- What's involved in owning a Permit/CoA/ML?
- What do I do when the seller want's me to travel eons of miles to view?
[edit]
- Should I pre-pay a "refundable" deposit on a cheap plane to test fly it when it is based in a far flung country?
[/edit]

I think these have been asked fairly recently in one guise or another...
By Boxkite
I think a dedicated GA forum would be a good start.

Oh, and this thread is in the wrong forum. And the title could better describe its contents.
aerofurb liked this
By Chris Martyr
So what's this forum for then ?,,,,,,,,,,,,Steely-eyed killers only.

The only recent enquiry that I can remember was from a chap looking to buy an Aeronca Champ, which generated quite a few interesting and informed replies. Didn't realise that all the 'cool experienced dudes' were all sitting around yawning. :lol:
Excuse the sarcasm, but I'm afraid that this posting comes across as slightly pompous and not very encouraging to newer converts.
Is it the last three months of unflyable weather that's making guys niggly and mischievous ?
By Rob P
The Studes forum is headed by Leia's excellent pocket guide "How to learn to fly" which pre-empts most of the obvious basic questions.

Perhaps the answer is to have a "How to join/form a group" and "How to choose and buy an aeroplane" available in Groups and GA respectively.

I can think of nobody better equipped to write the latter than the OP.

Rob P
Spooky, Morten liked this
By JWL
OP - as someone that asked for help / advice on a new aircraft purchase last year, I have to say I was very grateful of the information offered. The challenge with a separate area of the site is lack of footfall and hence reduced responses.

My view would be that the GA area is not that busy (at least compared to one other forum I'm on) so having these threads is not a burden, and if you don't like the thread, you can quickly move on.

The thing I don't get is why you can advertise / look for a share but not an outright plane. Seems odd as Flyer advertises planes for sale in the back of the mag.
By JoeC
I don't think the forum needs any more sections. So what if someone asks a question asked and answered before? If someone can't be **** to answer that's fine, there's lots of others who will.

This is an online flying club and needs live answers based on current experience, let's not reduce it to a noticeboard with pre-written answers.
By Lefty
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Whilst I agree that it would be best to keep them here rather than on a separate section (for the reasons given), I do think that it would be well worthwhile asking Hatz to write an FAQ sheet that could be posted as a sticky somewhere.
Hatz has owned more a/c than half the forum put together.
By The Kissimmee Bum
FLYER Club Member (reader)  FLYER Club Member (reader)
Paultheparaglider wrote:My money is that Hatz was suggesting a separate section of this forum, not that it should go elsewhere.

He has a point.

Paul.

I don't believe that he has. This is the General Aviation Forum is it not?

Good idea re: an FAQ sticky but there will always be the specific questions, the answers to which are not always apparent from a crib card.