Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By hatzflyer
We were talking in the clubhouse at the weekend and the subject of good pilots came up.
What do you think makes a " good " pilot ?
By BlackheathBloke
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
In the clubhouse, a good pilot is one that doesn't walk around in a hi-viz and his cap with a 'I'm a Pilot' logo 8)
Johnny liked this
By davef77
hatzflyer wrote:We were talking in the clubhouse at the weekend and the subject of good pilots came up.
What do you think makes a " good " pilot ?

Regularly scores over 80% in competition :D
By Genghis the Engineer
One who is constantly trying to achieve a fictional level of perfection, but is realistic enough to know that it's fictional.

G
By davef77
Genghis the Engineer wrote:One who is constantly trying to achieve a fictional level of perfection, but is realistic enough to know that it's fictional.

G

Ooohhhh, I really like that one, well said 8)
By Bert Smallow
I am probably not the only one who heard that :my first instructor said he did not want to train his student to be good pilots but to be old pilots.
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I've thought about this a lot, just as I've thought about what makes a good driver. There's not a single answer. If you're going flying with someone and one of your loved ones asks, "Are they a good pilot?" what they really mean is are they likely to crash.

No one would doubt that Formula 1 drivers are good drivers, but how many have lots of points on their licences? (it was a standard Top Gear question to F1 drivers - how many points do you have? :D ) Is a good driver someone with no points? Is it someone with no crashes? Is it someone who is thoughtful and observant? The last two should go hand in hand, but not necessarily with the previous.

In the same vein, there are top aerobatic pilots, top instrument pilots, top airshow pilots, etc, and there are those who are just competent and safe. So there's no one answer to the question.

There are pilots who were much much better than you* or I now pushing up daisies, maybe by pushing the boundaries. I think you have to qualify the context when you ask the question.

Mike Tango wrote:I'd have thought the only requirement would be whether one can fly solo to Australia or not.

I saw Amanda this evening. Just sayin'...

*Average pilot out there
jerry_atrick, Sjoram liked this