Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Sir Morley Steven
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
We have a 695 in our new aircraft and someone asked if it had tcas. Garmin have an adsb receiver that is compatible and Zaon did one I think (pcas). Any advice or recommendations as to the best for a flying school budget?
By Tall_Guy_In_a_PA28
The Zaon ZRX works well with the 695, but Zaon went bust. They pop up on eBay but are holding their value well due to scarcity.

When I get some time I will look into interfacing a PilotAware, unless someone beats me to it.
By SteveN
That would be Garmin TIS. Not published by Garmin that I can find.
Last edited by SteveN on Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Paul_Sengupta
Lee says that if someone can give him the spec for the data out (or data in when looking at the GPS! :clown: ) then he'll program up an interface for Garmin on the PilotAware.

I've seen it on the web somewhere and I've probably got a copy stashed away on a hard drive somewhere, but I'm too busy to go looking at the moment.
By SteveN
All I can find is that it is a binary data stream at 9600 baud. So apparently not NMEA.
By SteveN
Nope looked there. I have read it is known as Garmin "TRFC" if that helps.
By Paul_Sengupta
Someone's posted the output of a GDL-39 which feeds traffic and weather into a Garmin GPS or via bluetooth to a tablet. Now I don't know if there are various protocols in use, he suggests some sort of handshaking, but he says the serial output at 9600 baud is the same as the bluetooth output, and gives a breakdown of what he's been able to find. It's in his blog:

Part 1, Part 2, iOS, Part 3

http://www.chartbundle.com/tech/gdl39/

There's also the last post on this page which might be relevant:

http://www.rotaryforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5491

It's funny what one learns on one's travels around the internet. Looking for this, I found that you can crossfill a Garmin portable GPS from a GNS-430 or 530! :D