Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Mike Cross
jerry_atrick asked
Is there not an overarching body that represents the alphabet soup organisations in a united matter? If there isn't, then maybe its time to think about it. In Australia, they created one, so it didn't matter what organisation one belonged to, on common/general GA matters, there was one voice...

Maybe a separate thread as we are well into max angle of drift...

There isn't, and the reason is........

Various UK organisations grew up over the years to represent different facets of aviation and they all worked with the CAA to put their own members' points of view. They would sit down together at meetings and thrash things out together.

With the advent of EASA all of this changed. EASA weren't interested in talking to a multiplicity of different national organisations, each representing one facet of aviation in their particular country. They wanted to deal with European organisations, not National ones.

For AOPA this wasn't a problem. All of the AOPA's around the world are members of IAOPA, an international organisation that has a seat at ICAO. They had IAOPA Europe to represent them at EASA. This means that all of the European AOPA's speak with one voice through IAOPA Europe.

It wasn't so easy for the other UK representative organisations. They in the main were not part of a larger international organisation, so they had to form alliances with other national organisations throughout Europe to gain recognition at a European level and representation at EASA. Generally speaking the UK orgamnisations rallied round the Royal Aero Club, which together with similar organisations in other European countries became a member of Europe Air Sports. Europe Air Sports in turn gained recognition at EASA and represents their interests. The General Aviation Alliance respresents their interests at a UK level.

No doubt someone will correct me if the above generalisation is wide of the mark.

This situation doesn't imply any rivalry or disunity between AOPA UK and RAeS or GAA, it simply arises because AOPA UK was already part of an international organisation and so was able to gain recognition at EASA while other UK bodies were not and had to organise into a European structure to gain recognition. In one way it's an advantage because EASA has to deal with two bodies representing GA interests not one, so the noise is louder.

The idea that AOPA only represents people with high-end aircraft with IR's is very wide of the mark. The aircraft I fly is older than I am and doesn't have a DI, flaps, a vacuum pump, a fuel pump, or pitot heat. It's only electronics are a strobe, a COM and my portable Garmin 196.

This isn't a plug for AOPA, simply an answer to the question that was posed. I'm a member of AOPA because I am both a pilot and an aircraft owner. I'm also a full member of LAA because I fly a Permit aircraft. Join and support at least one organisation that will represent your interests at EASA because that's where the rules are made.
By Genghis the Engineer
I agree about the position of Europe Airsports (and FAI), and IAOPA.

For much of the world (i.e. pretty much anywhere but China, the former Soviet Union, and the USA), there's also the Royal Aeronautical Society representing the interests of aviation professionals - and it can at its best, do an excellent job. The General Aviation Group is part of that, and gave us recently the new CAA paper on E-conditions, which may well make a huge difference to our community - GAG has senior representation from pretty much all of the major players in UK GA.

I'm not a member of AOPA, maybe I should be, but as I've posted elsewhere - I had to stop somewhere with numerous other memberships that were at-least marginally more relevant to me personally.

What I think is most important is that everybody in our community, belongs to at-least one significant representative organisation, and where necessary, backs it.

G
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
My view, as I've said before, is that the most effective strategy is to join two organisations. AOPA and the one that most closely fits your primary interest in aviation. Mike Cross is very sensibly following this strategy by joining AOPA and LAA for all the cogent reasons he outlines above. I have joined AOPA and PPL/IR because almost all my flying is IFR touring in a TB20.

AOPA is the one organisation that has a seat at the ICAO, which informs EASA's rule making, and a wide interest in all aviation outside CAT. Its influence would be greatly enhanced, to everyone's benefit, if everyone joined!
By jerry_atrick
Not much time to respond at the moment, but at least at a national level, an umbrella organisation/forum (while maintaining individual organisations identity) will have the ability to present to decision makers representation to specific issues with bigger representation than the specific organisation could, which would give more clout. It would help to formalise resource sharing so more can be put across many of the issues/challenges, and to take Dave W's point, where there is disagreement between individual organisations on how or what a response or representation should be, it will provide the formal mechanism to agree a unified approach rather than a fragmented one that may play into decision makers' hands.

It would take time and effort to establish, but the payback may be much better.

I noticed the notable absence from The Australian Aviation Associations' Forum is also AOPA (my mistake - I read it from the press release some time ago as including AOPA)... Maybe there is an issue with participating at/because of the IAOPA level?
By johnm
The point is that AOPA is already equipped with seats at the various official tables from ICAO downwards and has a remit that covers all GA. Other organisations are busy trying organise to get their own seat at the table either individually or collectively in groups when the obvious solution is staring them in the face. Join AOPA!
By Rod1
Dave W wrote:Does the above discussion mean that the GA Alliance plus AOPA (or perhaps AOPA joining the GA Alliance) is not seen by anybody as a potential solution to the current fragmentation of approach?

GA Alliance Member organisations in alphabetical order are:

BBAC - British Balloon and Airship Club

BGA - British Gliding Association

BHPA - British Hang Gliding and Para Gliding Association

BMAA British Microlight Aircraft Association

BPA - British Parachute Association

HCGB - Helicopter Club of Great Britain

LAA - LIght Aircraft Association

PPL/IR Europe - European Association of Instrument Rated Private Pilots

Royal Aero Club of the United Kingdom

That is vertically all the alphabet soup and is many times the size of AOPA uk. AOPA uk were asked to join but the constitution will not allow it. The EASA angle can be overplayed. Most privately owned flying machines in the UK are not administered by any form of EASA c of a, being UK CAA c of a or permits which are granted directly or indirectly by UK CAA. We will probably not be in Europe soon so EASA influence on GA will reduce even more. In the UK the GA Alliance has reduced duplication and improved coordination. This is not intended as anti AOPA, just positive to GA Alliance. Please make sure you are a member of at least one of the above GA Alliance members.

Rod1
By Dave W
If it was seen as sufficiently advantageous to AOPA UK and the wider GA lobbying effort, presumably the constitution could be amended.

Alternatively, a letter of association or similar between AOPA UK and the GAA could be constructed to show lobbying with one voice - perhaps dual letterheads etc.
By johnm
Most privately owned flying machines in the UK are not administered by any form of EASA c of a, being UK CAA c of a or permits which are granted directly or indirectly by UK CAA. We will probably not be in Europe soon so EASA influence on GA will reduce even more.

That's not really the point. They still use airfields and airspace and travel between countries all issues that AOPA works hard to facilitate because that's its remit and it's at the tables. Moreover if the UK leaves the EU it may well stay in EASA because that's what CAT will want. The UK would not be the only non-EU member of EASA.
By Rod1
johnm wrote:
Most privately owned flying machines in the UK are not administered by any form of EASA c of a, being UK CAA c of a or permits which are granted directly or indirectly by UK CAA. We will probably not be in Europe soon so EASA influence on GA will reduce even more.

That's not really the point. They still use airfields and airspace and travel between countries all issues that AOPA works hard to facilitate because that's its remit and it's at the tables. Moreover if the UK leaves the EU it may well stay in EASA because that's what CAT will want. The UK would not be the only non-EU member of EASA.

It is the point - all the maintenance rules for example are CAA not EASA (for none EASA aircraft), want to use E5, CAA not EASA, Licensing to fly them, CAA not EASA. If we take your list, UK airfields - Planing, UK not EASA, rules for fuel storage, UK not EASA etc etc. Airspace - you want CAS you apply to CAA not EASA. EASA wants out of GA, CAA wants to delegate as much as possible to the members of the Alliance. I am not saying that EASA have no influence, just not so much on GA and getting less.

-------------------------------------------------

The G A Alliance is an independent group and partnership of organisations representing, as far as possible, UK General Aviation (GA), and Sports and Recreational Aviation interests (S&RA). Its objective is to to promote and protect the cost effective use of GA and S&RA aircraft, and their owners, pilots and the associated operations, and to actively participate in the formulation of regulations and actions that may affect their interests so as to ensure the welfare and the free and safe movement of these aircraft, pilots, owners and the associated operations.

The G A Alliance was formed specifically to address regulatory issues and matters of common concern to GA and S&RA. Activities are progressed with the agreement of member representatives through facilitation. Our objective in representation is to establish a joint common position which all members are content to sign up to recognising that the various sectors will also wish to present their own specific position and arguments in many consultation and Aviation forums.

Established in October 2004 , the organisation has subsequently pursued GA,Sports and Recreational Aviation interests by direct interface with Government, relevant Civil Service Organisations and CAA. Change in factors effecting our interests both domestically and as a result of European change and legislation are very high and potentially extremely damaging to our interests. GA A - a group of like minded pilots and Aviation enthusiasts - is responding to ensure our position and interests are well understood and taken into account.

Rod1
Last edited by Rod1 on Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Genghis the Engineer
We will probably not be in Europe soon so EASA influence on GA will reduce even more.

You may well be right on the first point, but I think that you're probably wrong on the second. Let me argue why:-

(1) UK CAA, which is on a government mandated mission led by Dierdre Hutton to become less competent and delegate as much as possible has de-skilled massively and delegated much to EASA.

(2) There are currently 28 member states of the EU, but 32 members of EASA. Picking one - Norway is an EASA state, but not an EU member, so leaving the EU does not mean that the referendum means leaving EASA control - there's already a model for it, and I suspect that UK will try to follow that model.

(3) The referendum (and yes, it looks like we may well vote to leave the EU) is ONLY about the EU. There are numerous other European bodies that affect our lives, which we will not automatically leave, and may never leave, for example....

- EASA
- Europe Airsports
- FEANI (Federations European d'Associations Nationals d'Ingeneurs)
- European NATO
- European Court for Human Rights
- Eurocontrol (presently has 8 non-EU members)
- EFTA (European Free Trade Agreement) - Switzerland is a member here, but not an EU member, so again, a model the UK can borrow.

No, whether I think it's a good idea or not, I can't see EASA dipping out of our lives just because the UK leaves the EU.

G
By riverrock
Never mind pilot licencing.
To me - GA Alliance (UK) / Air Sports Europe, Plus AOPA / IAOPA seems to work - and they work with each other without issue.
What's the problem? When has there been a disagreement?
By Flyin'Dutch'
The urge to be represented by one organisation may seem overwhelming at times but could very well be counter productive.

There are many meetings at various levels where stakeholders of the wider aviation community are represented and having 'our' voice represented by more than one organisation is usually quite helpful.
By Arnold Rimmer
From this thread viewtopic.php?f=74&t=91722

To quote the CAA's website:

"The CAA consults with representatives of the GA industry through a variety of consultative forums, the foremost of which is the General Aviation Consultative Committee (GACC)

UK Airprox Board,
NATS,
Ministry of Defence (MoD),
Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association (AOPA),
British Air Line Pilots Association (BALPA),
British Business & General Aviation Association (BBGA),
British Gliding Association (BGA),
British Hang Gliding and Paragliding Association (BHPA),
British Microlight Aircraft Association (BMAA),
Confidential Human Factors Incident Reporting Programme (CHIRP),
Flight Operations Liaison Group (FOLG),
General Aviation Safety Council (GASCo),
Guild of Air Traffic Controllers (GATCO),
Helicopter Club of Great Britain (BHGB),
Light Aircraft Association (LAA),
Royal Aeronautical Society (RaeS).
Defence Aviation Safety Centre (DASC),
Airport Operators Association (AOA),
British Air Transport Association (BATA).
Royal Aero Club Records Rally & Racing Association (Three R's),
Royal Institute of Navigation (RIN),
Flying Farmers Association (FFA),
PPL/IR Europe,
Association of Licensed Aircraft Engineers,
National Association of Agricultural Contractors,
General Aviation Awareness Council (GAAC),
Guild of Air Pilots and Navigators (GAPAN),
British Parachute Association (BPA),
General Aviation Alliance,
Helicopter Club of Great Britain (HCGB),
British Helicopter Association (BHA),
Royal Aero Club (RAeC),
UAV Systems Association,
British Balloon & Airship Club (BBAC),
Society of British Aerospace Companies (SBAC),
Department for Transport (DfT),
General Aviation Safety Council (GASCo),
British Rotorcraft Association
Historic Aircraft Association (HAA),
Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB),
Airworthiness Review Board (ARB).
British Women Pilots’ Association (BWPA)
Guild of Air Traffic Control Officers (GATCO),
Mission Aviation Fellowship Europe
Royal Air Force Flying Clubs Association (RAFFCA)
Royal Meteorological Society