Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Mournkaye
dublinpilot wrote:
Not sure of any other solution with such flexibility.

EasyVFR for one! PocketFMS invented that idea, though our integration of PC and Windows PocketPC devices (later car satnavs, and then tablets and phones).

Humble apologies! I stand corrected!
By stevelup
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Depends whether you want 3G or not. Both versions have a GPS chip - so it won't affect your capabilities in that respect.

You've elected to ignore the Tesco Hudl 2 suggestion then? It's a good unit at a very reasonable price. The Nexus 7 is a few years old now.
By Floobie
Battery Life is a bit better on the Nexus apparently. Is 3g useful when flying. I'm not sure how Sky Demon works but I imagine I would plan my route when connected to Wifi and then use GPS up in the air. I guess no 3g would mean no updates while flying but I imagine thats rarely a problem?
By stevelup
I personally have SkyDemon set to 'offline when flying' mode. I don't want some unpredictable thing happening after I've left solid network coverage.

Others leave the 3G on and benefit from (occasional and random) weather updates. It's personal choice, but I'm in the 'get everything sorted on the ground so your device is in a known state when you begin your flight, and don't have anything that could break it' camp...

Do you have a power socket in your aircraft?

Are you comparing like for like with the battery comparisons? Running something like SkyDemon with the brightness turned up full will use far more battery power than a browsing session in your living room, or watching videos - which are the figures most people use for gauging battery life.
By Floobie
No power socket. No was measuring battery life from a comparison site which measured it from running a video non stop. Hudl is good value for money no doubt but have seen a friends Nexus 7 and am happy to pay a small amount more.
By jjones
I'm as tight as a ducks **** and still willingly pay skydemon purchase and subscription, it really is that good.
It will happily run on your android/apple phone or tablet.

In response to what happens in flight if you have network coverage - you get up to date wind information and metar data coming through.
By Paul_Sengupta
The Gen 2 Nexus 7 is the one to go for if you can, but the Gen 1 Nexus or Asus 173 will do the job for peanuts if you buy it second hand (well, 35-45 quids worth of peanuts anyway). The Asus 176 (Atom processor) will probably work too now! :D

The HUDL 2 is a slightly larger tablet which might be better or worse depending on your aeroplane and mounting, but apparently it's Atom processor performs well with the new compilation of Sky Demon.
By malcolmfrost
It's worth remembering that you can use most modern phones as a personal WiFi hotspot, using your normal data allowance to connect a tablet that isn't 3G enabled. saves a subscription.
My 3 contract has 2GB of data and France roaming for £10/month.
By Floobie
Went for the Hudl 2 in the end as it turns out and am not disappointed. Flew with SD for the first time yesterday and at the risk of sounding like I work for them it was amazing!! Fear of infringing airspace is definitely something that has stopped me from flying a bit further afield but now feel like I could fly anywhere!!. Thanks for the advice.
By ianfallon
Floobie wrote:Went for the Hudl 2 in the end as it turns out and am not disappointed. Flew with SD for the first time yesterday and at the risk of sounding like I work for them it was amazing!! Fear of infringing airspace is definitely something that has stopped me from flying a bit further afield but now feel like I could fly anywhere!!. Thanks for the advice.

:thumleft: If that's exciting wait until you get a PilotAware connected to SkyDemon showing live ADS-B / PA traffic ... 8) (NB. no altitude filtering on for this pic (for testing))

By santon
Paul_Sengupta wrote:One of the pilot shops (AFE?) were selling these new at the recent LAA rally. Can't remember how much they were but it wasn't much.

Showing at £540 on their website! :D

http://www.afeonline.com/shop/bendix-king-av80r.html

I bought one at the LAA rally a couple of years ago. Left it in the box and then tried to use it this year. Dead screen! Google then told me that this is not unusual. Nothing to be done but put it in bin. Not a happy bunny!
By Keef
Given the number of back street outfits offering replacement screens for iPads, I'd be amazed if there weren't one that could resurrect it for you.

Philips told me my coffee machine couldn't be repaired, and that the failed component (a capacitor) is "not serviced". Capacitors are generic components, available anywhere. I got one for about a quid and soldered it in myself. Never believe the manufacturer when they want to sell you a new one. Check!