Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Rod1
I am surprised that several people do not carry any paperwork in the aircraft. I have a small file which contains everything required to go to l2k etc. This also includes my tec log. The advantage of this is that I can go "at the drop of a hat", but it also fulfills the requirements of many UK airfields who demand various bits of paper (usually insurance) be available on demand if you visit. Keeping the file up to date (all photo copes) is not a big job and it reminds you if you have forgotten something.

Rod1
By Arnold Rimmer
In this day and age, why carry paper around if all can be produced in electronic format? I am sure if someone insists, they can take me to a printer and I can produce as much paper as they wish?
I wonder what I am saving in fuel?
By Rod1
Arnold Rimmer wrote:In this day and age, why carry paper around if all can be produced in electronic format? I am sure if someone insists, they can take me to a printer and I can produce as much paper as they wish?
I wonder what I am saving in fuel?

I guess if you can do this on a phone then ok - but my file is less weight than my Nexus. I also need to reference some of the info from time to time and would struggle on a small screen. If you were intercepted and needed to look up the relevant (mandatory) info is a phone the best way to do this - I think I will stick to paper.

Rod1
By Rob P
If the Nexus is big enough to navigate on, why isn't it big enough to look at your documents on?

:scratch:

Rob P
By muffin
FLYER Club Member (reader)  FLYER Club Member (reader)
I don't think I have ever been asked for any document at a non military airfield in the last 20 years. I do carry a copy of the insurance cert though as RAF sites need it to prove Crown Indemnity cover.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
muffin wrote:I don't think I have ever been asked for any document at a non military airfield in the last 20 years. I do carry a copy of the insurance cert though as RAF sites need it to prove Crown Indemnity cover.

All the RAF sites I've ever visited want that evidence long before I ever get near their facility....
By PaulB
Bob Bevan wrote:Both Keef and Pete have mentioned carrying a Spanish translation of the certificate. Has anyone had any recent experience of being asked to produce this or run in to any problems in Spain for not having a Spanish translation available?

I asked for one from my insurer and was told that it was no longer necessary, presumably for the reasons you state.
By Rod1
Rob P wrote:If the Nexus is big enough to navigate on, why isn't it big enough to look at your documents on?

Rob P

When navigating you are looking a a picture centered on your position. Looking up a section of a multi page scaned doc on a 7inch screen in flight would be hard work. I have been "ramp checked" twise in Europe in the last 20 years, both were none events as I had all the right bits of paper.

Rod1
By skydriller
Rod1 wrote:
Rob P wrote:If the Nexus is big enough to navigate on, why isn't it big enough to look at your documents on?

Rob P

When navigating you are looking a a picture centered on your position. Looking up a section of a multi page scaned doc on a 7inch screen in flight would be hard work. I have been "ramp checked" twise in Europe in the last 20 years, both were none events as I had all the right bits of paper.

Rod1
:lol:
I have once had the gendarmes ask for documents on a ramp check....But I'm pretty sure that they don't get keen with their helicopters, intercept light aircraft, and demand either over the radio or by loudspeakers that you hold up various aeroplane documentation to the windows or canopy so they can read it with their binoculars in flight....:clown:
By Rod1
Did you read the bit above;

" If you were intercepted and needed to look up the relevant (mandatory) info is a phone the best way to do this -"

Or were you just not intrested.

Rod1
By Rob P
Are you seriously suggesting that the Gendarme eggbeater would fly alongside you and ask for insurance fine print by radio? :lol:

"Unable to comply whilst flying. I can give you those details when I am on the ground"

"Impossible de se conformer. Je peux vous donner ces détails lorsque je suis sur le terrain"

Rob P
By skydriller
Rod1 wrote:Did you read the bit above; " If you were intercepted and needed to look up the relevant (mandatory) info is a phone the best way to do this -" Or were you just not intrested.

Rod1

Rod, though that wasnt what I thought you were talking about :lol: (which is what made me laugh when I read it!!) we should all know what to do if intercepted anyway, without the need to look it up....and it should be obvious what they want you to do by the intercepting heli's/jet's actions... :pirat:

regards, SD..
By Rob P
Oooops. I was under the same impression.

But wasn't the question about insurance documents, not interception procedure sheets?

Rob P
By Rod1
skydriller wrote:
Rod1 wrote:Did you read the bit above; " If you were intercepted and needed to look up the relevant (mandatory) info is a phone the best way to do this -" Or were you just not intrested.

Rod1

Rod, though that wasnt what I thought you were talking about :lol: (which is what made me laugh when I read it!!) we should all know what to do if intercepted anyway, without the need to look it up....and it should be obvious what they want you to do by the intercepting heli's/jet's actions... :pirat:

regards, SD..

Ok - Still confuesd as to how you make this all work. Are you saying you do not take a copy of the interception procedure with you - as you know it all by hart?

Rod1