Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By peter272
"Apartments overlooking the airfield and the countryside beyond will allow their owners to enjoy the sights of the airfield in much the same way as watching boats and the activities of a marina. Hence 'Sarum Landings'.

Sounds nice, until they start complaining about the noise....

Why is the proposal for Kemble so destructive in comparison?

Quite.

The drawings of the Kemble proposal seem to start with the destruction of the runways yet a lot could be done to keep the airfield as an active, though smaller entity.

Obviously money talks here
By Flyingfemme
No hangar homes, so not exactly an airpark.......

If they build homes on both North and South sides of the runway one set of residents is going to be under downwind (and moan). Why don't these people take advice from actual airfield users and occupiers?
By jerry_atrick
Flyingfemme wrote:No hangar homes, so not exactly an airpark.......

If they build homes on both North and South sides of the runway one set of residents is going to be under downwind (and moan). Why don't these people take advice from actual airfield users and occupiers?

+1..

Cynic in me sees the following:
- Off airfield development under the veil of "airpark" (can't see any taxiways to any of the homes)..
- GA happy as it means airfield stays open..
- Once happy residents move in, they start moaning about the noise as the novelty of watching light aircraft wanes; and then the claims of being unsafe start..
- Either enough opposition is made to close the airfield or the noise abatement procedures become farcical.. or there is irreparable damage done in relations between local community and GA.

Happy to be proven wrong..
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
"Airpark" my bottom.

It's just a way of getting the GA community on their side. If they can sell the houses to pilots then all the better, but they still can't keep their aeroplanes in their garages.
By Jude098
The applicants are very welcome to contact me for a copy of my MSc dissertation "EUROPEAN RESIDENTIAL AIRPARKS IN THE CONTEXT OF LOCAL SUSTAINABLE RURAL DEVELOPMENT" which has been used successfully to assist Belgium get planning permission for its first Airpark (Gravity Park) and is being used to assist Alan Hanna in his Airpark proposal at Enniskillen which is in the final stages. At Enniskillen there is scope to have not only a grass strip, Scanda type 3 bedroom homes, communal hangerage but a jetty for amphibians
By EdH
FLYER Team Member  FLYER Team Member
No hangar homes? Hangars with accommodation are in the vision document

By ChampChump
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Pity about the spelling mistake.
By peter272
...and if the owner decides to shut the airfield, a la Panshangar???
By Leighton CZ
On one of my visits to Old Sarum I was told the timbers in the hangar roof are all less that a certain length, which makes the roof structure look rather unusual.
The reason was because all the timbers had to be transported there, by rail I think, and full span timbers couldn't be brought by rail, so they had to be built out of short lengths ??