Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By BrianRoth
What a friendly and helpful bunch of folk at Cherbourg Maupertus!

Edith and her husband who run the shop and restaurant and speak perfect English; Alain and his ATC team; the friendly fire team who may come to greet you in their great big shiny red fire truck; Francois who runs a twin charter to the UK, Channel Islands and Europe. Francois and the good folk from the aero club who put me in contact with Claude. Claude Robert from Caen who trekked out by road, two days on the trot, to resolve my a/c technical issues. Thank you guys for all your help!

For those who have not been, Cherbourg is about 30 minutes flying time (in an old tin bucket) from the IoW and has a whacking long hard runway. It has great facilities, all of which in the UK would sadly be turned into thousands of matchbox houses...

The only word of caution I have is this. Make sure that you have no loose wires before you set off, or better still, none break in flight!
By Lefty
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Cherbourg is a big favourite for many on the forum. We've been treated to Luc and Edith's food and hospitality for many years.
By jerry_atrick
BrianRoth wrote:The only word of caution I have is this. Make sure that you have no loose wires before you set off, or better still, none break in flight!

Can't help it - my brain is full of them :D

Now - for my planned trip to France - will it be Calais or Cherbourg? Not sure as both have had their praises sung lately.. I know there have been British fields that have had their praises sung, but so highly on all facets? Food? Service? Landing Surface?

Darn it, we will visit both on our fly-out! Have to make sure its not Sunday..
By Grumpy One
As an added incentive to go over the waters - Don't forget the famous Cherbourg BBQ's:
Scheduled dates:- 4th July & 29th August

See you there - Remember to wear your Flyer lanyard :D
I'm scheduled to take Irv "Anti Rust" Lee on the 29th event - Aren't I, Lee?
By Rob P
Is there an accommodation / transport plan for the 29th?

Rob P
By Irv Lee
Grumpy One wrote:I'm scheduled to take Irv "Anti Rust" Lee on the 29th event - Aren't I, Lee?

Before you ask, that is a can of WD40 in my pocket
By BrianRoth
I stayed in the Ambassadeur hotel which was pretty good - clean, friendly, in the centre of the old town on the water front near lots of restaurants . They speak English and the breakfast for eu9 is well worth it. Only downside is the cost of taxis especially over the weekend.
By Irv Lee
Second that bit about taxis! On the friendly side, I once diverted in, (sudden fog at Dinard). I found it was a French bank holiday so no car hire desks open. I met Luc and Edith for the first time, they were able to supply a superb lunch whilst they phoned Ms Avis at home, who came over picked us up after lunch, took us to town, opened the closed Avis office there and rented us a car.
By davey
BrianRoth wrote:I stayed in the Ambassadeur hotel which was pretty good - clean, friendly, in the centre of the old town on the water front near lots of restaurants . They speak English and the breakfast for eu9 is well worth it.

We've stayed there many times, the new owners speak English ( I think they are Russian...) and it is a good place to stay and quite reasonable.

Just round the corner, left then left again, is a square with bars and restaurants. Le Plouc 2 is well worth a visit, we are usually the only English in there and the menu is err. different with things like pigs cheek, spicy courgettes, and all manner of dishes not usually found in normal restaurants. Menus from around 18 to 30Euro for 3 courses. The only English speaker in there is the chef so some French is an advantage but they are very friendly if you just point and smile :D

P.s. Luc and Edith at the airport are lovely people, I believe Luc was the Mayor recently, G1 would know as he's been there more than most....
By jerry_atrick
OK, OK! I have the lanyard. I have the Shareoplane booked. I am not coming though (as the last two times I have said I was coming to Raduno with everything set, it was scuppered at the last minute)..
By Grumpy One
That's good Ikamsner - Then we'll not expect to see you as you stride purposefully across the apron :D
By the way - don't sit on the end of the table bench when no one else is sitting on it further on up :shock:

And...
That alleged can of WD40 in Irv's pocket, is a myth. It's a chipolata.... A friend told me :roll:

And...
Luc is now into his 2nd term as the local mayor.
By Pete L
What's the easiest way to get from the airport to Luc & Edith's? Having flown straight past on the way back from Bordeaux via Dinard, thinking about going Saturday.
By LZ791
We stopped by on return from Bordeaux rally in June, what a lovely and friendly airport Cherbourg turned out to be. Staff could not have been more welcoming and clearly have the correct attitude towards GA. Knowing full well UK traffic may well pass them by on route further into France they make it their duty to go the extra mile. Everything from ATC, customs, fueling was handled by cheery staff PLEASED TO SEE AND SERVE!! On arrival parked alongside a wartime marked DC3 or should that be C47, made for a great photo opportunity. Surprisingly oil was not available at the fueling station but a most obliging mechanic at the aero club supplied a litre with a smile. Also on the apron was a USAF C-17 transporter which we watched depart whilst chatting to a number of USAF personnel in the terminal. Wine selection was also great, we loaded up. Without a doubt the friendliest French airfield I have visited to date couldn't recommend it more highly.
By Pete L
Dave W wrote:Luc & Edith's is inside the airport terminal. :D

Google map failure then...had it in downtown, unless that's another restaurant they own.

Viv may need more than an airport to risk getting her feet wet...so was thinking of going into town anyway post nosh.