Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Oh gosh, I have called in to too many to list by road including most of those mentioned so far (exception being Gamston...I've been in by road but before the current cafe was there. Been to Netherthorpe by road for Sunday Lunch though.)!

Has Sywell been mentioned? If you're hopping across east-west or vice versa on the A43/45 it's a good stop.

Blackbushe cafe, right there on the A30.

I often call into Popham for breakfast as I actually drive past it on the way to my aeroplane! :D

stevelup wrote:When I was in the USA, I was sharing the circuit with a 737 where there wasn't even A/G - we were using CTAF.

It's only here that we make a drama out of everything...!

I was quite surprised having called round the circuit at Ocala that I met a DC-8 coming the other way as I taxied in. Then parked next to a 727 with a C130 parked in the middle of the ramp. :D Orlando Sanford used to be uncontrolled at night, and I once called round the circuit just prior to the 767 that I was going to fly back to the UK on doing the same.
By kanga
archaeopteryx wrote:I like taking breaks at airfields when on long journeys. ..

Gloucester, short detour from the M5. Beer garden at end of runway...

and JAM (with cafe, but no beer) at weekends (and some other days, eg BHs and Weds in school halfterms/holidays; see website), similar road distance from M5 junctions. But may not make for a short break if you visit the exhibits, too!
By masterofnone
stevelup wrote:It's only here that we make a drama out of everything...!

Well, that was my point - considering our predilection for making a drama, it was unexpected.

Also, one would presume that with no ATC it can't offer instrument approaches, which was also a surprise considering it's a fair lump of tarmac with some fair lumps of metal using it. I guess there is not enough demand (?) given the costs such a service would generate.
By Paul_Sengupta
masterofnone wrote:Also, one would presume that with no ATC it can't offer instrument approaches

Why would you think that? ;-)

While we're in the USA, I've called into the cafe at Half Moon Bay near San Francisco by road while on a road trip.
By Keef
There are plenty of instrument approaches to unmanned airfields in the USA. I've flown some of them. No issue at all.
By masterofnone
Being in the UK, pilots can't legally use an instrument approach unless the airfield has ATC? Is this correct?

Of course, what with there being a VOR co-located on the airfield, I'm sure no pilots would ever dream of such a thing.
By greghm
What about Greenham Common ? is it still ladies only ?
By Paul_Sengupta
When you're driving down south Bill, just get your aviation GPS out, and hit DIRECT TO --> NRST.
By TLRippon
masterofnone wrote:Wow, I didn't realise Gamston was A/G. That's a pretty serious facility with some reasonably serious aircraft using it. I would have imagined it would have run a higher level service.Landing prices appear to be surprisingly elusive...you have to "Apply" for them :roll:

Gamston is a GA field with a Diamond repair facility and flying school. The odd business jet user nothing bigger. Why not A/G?

Landing fees are £15 up to 1500Kg. Right there in Pooley's
By masterofnone
TLRippon wrote:Gamston is a GA field with a Diamond repair facility and flying school. The odd business jet user nothing bigger. Why not A/G?

Admittedly I did anticipate some degree of flaming as I wrote that...with stories of how you don't drop out of the sky without ATC, and how it's done so much better in the US. Nothing wrong with A/G...it was just a surprise to me, that's all (lets call it a pleasant surprise!). Just as it was when I visited North Weald.

TLRippon wrote:Landing fees are £15 up to 1500Kg. Right there in Pooley's

:roll:
If you have a website (as Gamston do), then just publish the prices. Presuming there's nothing particularly secret about them, it's daft not to. Unless you really like responding to email enquiries. It's certainly a whole lot better than having go out and spend £25 on a flight guide to find it costs you £15 to land, especially if that figure is obsolete.