Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By amblikai
Hi guys, been reading the forums for a long time, only just registered.

I'm ~38 hours into my PPL (UK EASA). A couple of theory exams to do and QXC/skills test.

It turns out that next week i might be in Arizona, suspiciously close to Chandler air service with that stunning Pitts!

Can i do anything? At the bare minimum i'd love to just go up and experience Arizona from the air, it all counts as experience even if it can't go in the logbook. But i'm assuming i can't take control/have a lesson etc without all the TSA paperwork.

Any thoughts? Thanks.
By Josh
No snags with TSA or anything like that unless you want to take a license. Going for a flight with an instructor requires nothing whatsoever.

I'd recommend a flight with them in their Great Lakes open cockpit biplane. Introduction to aeros/tailwheel, or just flying in an open cockpit over the wonderful scenery!
By amblikai
Cool! So can i record the hours in my logbook as PUT?
By Iceman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Sedona for lunch with a few aeros thrown in outbound (before lunch that is :puker: ).

Neither FAA ticket nor prior arrangements required, as Josh states.

Iceman 8)
Last edited by Iceman on Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Flyingfemme
But do get the CFI to do a logbook entry for you. You never know when it might come in handy......Most schools will be able to do you a sticky to take home.
By amblikai
Cool! I never realised i'd be able to do anything other than be a pax. Though that'd be cool enough. It's all flying at the end of the day!

Iceman, i once hired a mustang and did a road trip: Phoenix -> Flagstaff -> South Rim Grand Canyon (Hiked down into the canyon) ->Sedona -> Jerome -> Prescott -> Phoenix. Pretty cool (or hot i should say) But i never did see Sedona airport. I suppose you wouldn't unless you were above it!

Never looked forward to a business trip before. :D
By FlarePath
Ahh Sedona. A great place even if the approach is a little scary in the turbulence/winds, that can be a little sporty. just as with leaving Flagstaff with a density altitude of 9000' in an Archer II, that was a lesson in gentle handling on the climb-out.
By PeteSpencer
Crab night at the Sedona airport restaurant was a joy to behold, Eh Keef?

Sadly however I think the restaurant is no more...

Peter
By Iceman
amblikai wrote:But i never did see Sedona airport. I suppose you wouldn't unless you were above it!

Sedona airport is on elevated terrain which may mean that it's easy to miss if driving through the area. You can get a cap there saying that "I've landed on the USS Sedona" as it's a bit like landing on an aircraft carrier 8). I had heard that the superb restaurant on the field had shut but worth checking what's around when you get there. You will be able to book any time with an instructor as Pu/t and it all counts towards your PPL (remember to get the instructor's name in your log book).

Take a camera !

Iceman 8)
By amblikai
New mission in life..... to land at Sedona and get that cap!!! Cheers guys!

Right i'm getting on it. When i have travel arranged, i'll contact chandler air services and see what they're happy to have me do.

Anyone based out there?
By James Chan
Can i do anything?

You'll also discover out there that you can:
- Fly into lots of different airports, ranging from community grass strips up to large public-use international airports
- Find lots of well maintained tarmac with night & instrument facilities
- Come and go whenever you like at most places without facing the risk of out-of-hours surcharges
- No PPR or hi-vis jackets needed at public airports
- Fill up AVGAS for so much cheaper
- And airport fees are typically zero or are very reasonable during off-peak periods where levied.

The sky's the limit. :thumleft:
By Keef
Sedona has to be one of my top three or four airfields. The restaurant with the crab specials is gone; I don't know if there's any plan to replace it. Pity if not.

The motel over the road from the airfield is something else - if you can get a room there!
By AdamFrisch
I landed there about 2 years ago and the restaurant, which was brand new then, was absolutely excellent. Right on the field. Didn't see any crabs, though. Sedona is very beautiful, but can be deceptive to land on. The rwy sits on top of a Mesa and screws with your perspective. It's very common to come in too high and too fast.
By Ben Twings
The new restaurant at Sedona has a great view of the airfield and mesa and good food.

I suspect you won't get it signed off as a training flight by an instructor unless you've got all the TSA stuff done. Just enjoy it as a 'passenger' flight with a bit of hands-on and instructor patter thrown in for free.