Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
I recently purchased a Lightspeed Sierra headset which works fine in most respects, but I think the mic is not sensitive enough. I really need to speak much more loudly than I would like for it to pick up, even right up against my mouth. Can the mic sensitivity be adjusted and if so, how? I see there is a mic gain adjustment disk on the mic, but I do not want to poke around without a bit of guidance about how this is done.
Thanks in advance for any help!
By riverrock
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Only recommendation I've seen is to phone light speed and have them walk you through it.
Do check squelch settings on your intercom, and check how loud others think you are. Over modulated speech will significantly reduced your clarity.
By francoisvl
In case it helps others, I got this back from Lightspeed:

Please check the position of the mic. Remove the foam mic cover. The side that has a small round cap needs to face away from you. If the mic has gotten turned around it can pick up a lot of ambient sound or have difficulty picking up your voice. Under the little round cap on the back side of the mic you will find a screw head, this is your mic gain adjustment. If you need to increase the sensitivity you'll turn it clockwise a quarter turn and then test the headset. Or, turn in the opposite to decrease sensitivity.

Re the little round cap: You should be able to pop it off with a fingernail. It should pop out very easily once you push underneath the side of the cap.

I have not yet had time to test this, but will do so on the weekend, if weather doesn't ruin flying plans.