Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By DarrenL
I have no idea - I was only born in the late 70s!

Does a ticket give any status? I've never even thought to put it on my CV to be honest. Perhaps I should.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Nah I jes' wave my gleaming Breitling chronometer

Not.
By Dodo
ZOGman wrote:Does a flying licence offer the same status today vs the1960s/70s?

Yes, not a lot then, not a lot now :-(
When I did my PPL at Birmingham airport years ago there was a PPL who used to come in and do a quick flight then happily spend the rest of the day in the terminal chatting to passengers in full gold bars, flight case etc proclaiming his status as a pilot when security inevitably chucked him out. Ironically, he was apparently quite good with nervous flyers and really nice to people.
By Jim Jones
Status? In what sense?
Pulling birds? Not noticed a change.
Respect from others? A simple sense of awe from the simple minded.
As an expert on all aviation related news items?. Naturally.
As a square-jawed hero with a 1000 mile stare? No change since I was at school
By Maxthelion
From my experience, when chatting about it in the pub, yes, it does seem to confer a little kudos. I really do mean a little. I do put it on my CV also though not as a status thing, more as something to mark myself out from the crowd.

Lets face it, we'd all love it if we were back in the Edwardian period when pilots were looked upon as heroes. Now I think we're respected more because we're perceived to have means rather than because we're adventurous types. I certainly know that in my case I'm poor because I fly, rather than I fly because I'm rich.

As far as pulling goes, I've found that the ladies are attracted to pilots not because they like pilots or flying but because they like the evidence of money. This was captured rather well in a song by a band named 'Bad Charlotte'...

"Girls don't like boys, girls like cars and money..."
By velostar
I often have to explain to my colleagues that the amount I spend on my shareoplane is usually equivalent to their hobbies such as gym membership, smoking, lavish holidays and nice cars.

I drive a clapped out old thing, haven't had a holiday in years, don't smoke and have higher cholesterol due to burger runs.

But I cherish my time in the air!
By PeteSpencer
Since I look less like a pilot than anyone I know, people in the pub don't ask: and I don't tell them.

So nobody knows and the thread title doesn't apply. :wink:
By Flintstone
I tell people I'm in aluminium tubing.
By Sooty25
DarrenL wrote:Does a ticket give any status? I've never even thought to put it on my CV to be honest. Perhaps I should.

it demonstrates the ability to study and sit exams since leaving school, the acceptance of responsibilty and that you have an interest outside of xbox.

You also never know, but the chap interviewing you may also be a pilot.

It will not harm your CV, i'd suggest you add.

Going back to the OP, I think the rise of low cost airlines has reduced the kudos of the pilot certainly in the UK. Air travel is much more common place and what was once an "Airliner" is now just an "Airbus". The "Air Hostess" becomes "Cabin Crew". Soon the pilots will be drivers.
By Rob P
I bought the T-shirt

"All men are created equal...

... and then a few become pilots"

(I only ever wear it at the airfield in case of irony detector failure)

Rob P
By ScottC
When speaking to people, being a PPL, I don't really class myself as a 'proper' pilot, rightly or wrongly...

I fly for a hobby, although I am aiming towards a CPL/IR as and when funds allow. When i'm chatting with friends or others about flying and they're really interested and say "Tell me more, it sounds fantastic" although I continue the conversation and enlighten them to the world of GA, I just shrug it off a bit as being nothing special... as I see it, anyone with a a bit of brain juice and enough money can get a PPL. I'm not like the majority of 'cool kids' you find round certain military-related flying schools, who strut around in their flying suits and ray bans! - I've spent time with those types... annoyed the heck out of me! :mrgreen:

A good friend of mine (also on this forum) bought me this t-shirt a couple of years ago... i've never dared wear it at the airfield as I know i'd have the mick well and truly ripped out of me :lol:

https://www.flyforfun.aero/wp-content/u ... 2/1679.jpg