Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By fishermanpaul
As a follow-up:

Brilliant trip to Abbeville today.

I did the usual (via Skydemon - oh-so-easy!) flight-plans and GAR for the return. Also sent email to the bsi-abbeville address for inbound customs.

On arrival Abbeville guy was at lunch so:
+33 5 57 92 60 84 to close the flight plan - she spoke better English than I did so job done
03 22 27 15 80 for a taxi into town. Also arranged a pick up from the Carre-four later at arranged time (GCSE level Francais required) and he showed exactement on time. E12 each way.

Just before we got into the taxi to town Abbeville guy arrived and took the E8 landing fee. He also was there for departure and wished us bon voyage.

(I'll copy this to the Abbeville ATIS thread but with a note to say that, just because we didn't get customed, doesn't mean that the unofficial email is the way to go...)

Huge thanks to all who replied

Cheers
fp
By patowalker
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
For the doubters, here is confirmation that it is acceptable to use the Abbeville Customs e-mail address:

On 25 Apr 2015, at 04:42, JEROME FAUQUET <jerome.fauquet@douane.finances.gouv.fr> wrote:

Bonjour monsieur
Vous pouvez utiliser l'adresse internet de la brigade au lieu du fax pour nous envoyez les pré-avis d'arrivées sur le terrain d'Abbeville sans aucun problème.
Je vous la rappelle: bsi-abbeville@douane.finances.gouv.fr.

Cordialement

CP FAUQUET Jérôme
Chef d'Unité Adjoint
Having been in and out of Abbeville in the last couple of days, I can report that the e-mail to the Abbeville Customs (bsi-abbeville@douane.finances.gouv.fr) does produce the required attendance.

If you state a time that you will arrive at Abbeville in your e-mail, they will turn up. I'm not sure what happens out side office hours. The guys who turn up (comprehensive sample of two occasions) are plain clothes and start by showing you their ID. I though the first one was getting his mobile out to take a picture of the aeroplane, before I realised he was a Customs man. Then I thought it was a ramp-check, but he was only interested in personal ID and basic aircraft information. Both times (inbound and outbound) they arrived at the field with a copy of the e-mail I'd sent.

They are interested in Pilot passport and licence numbers, usual DoB and Place of Birth, current address. They are also interested in the aircraft registration, type and construction (probably more relevant to home-builts etc.) and normal operating base. They will obviously ask where you have come from and where you are going. They will probably want passport and other details of any PAX.

They fill in a form that they bring with them. I suggested that I take a blank copy and next time fill it in at home and attach it to the e-mail. The guy looked a bit horrified and said that was his job. They are based in Abbeville town and I suspect enjoy the chance to escape the office and come up to the airfield. They were friendly, with limited English. Outbound ChampChump’s fluent French helped, returning today I managed to get by on my own with some help from the Customs guy.
By Whiskey Kilo Wanderer
No mention of VAT?

Nothing about VAT, although he did ask about the Constructor, in my case Construction Amateur.

When departing yesterday afternoon the guy asked me if I was smuggling anything like cocaine. I said I could only just afford the aeroplane and had no money left to buy drugs…

As indicated, they came across as friendly.