Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Ashley
ac11flyer wrote:Well done. I have never been to L2K, did I miss something?

The Sun and the sand :)
By francoisvl
Well done, I am keen to emulate! I work in the UK on a work permit, valid until 2017 in the first instance. Every time I go to Europe, I need to apply for a visa. Sometimes I do manage to get one that is multiple entry for up to 9 months. Does anyone have any experience at getting even longer visas? I believe it may be possible to to get one that lasts up to two years if your employer is amenable to assist. Does anyone have knowledge about this. Obviously I could wait until I get a visa for another trip and then go, but it would be nice to have the visa, and be flexible on when I attempt a crossing.
By Rob P
ac11flyer wrote: I have never been to L2K, did I miss something?

I love the walk through the woods from the airport to town . Less than an hour ago I was in Norfolk, now I'm in a French seaside resort and the patisserie beckons.

It is a bit special, despite being unable to see the terminal from the ramp for all the G-Reg aircraft parked there.

Rob P
By Danskora
I know that Le Touquet is considered a rite of passage but what other northern French air fields do people recommend? Because it's so popular I feel we should try somewhere else but there must be a little town nearby.
Many congratulations, Ashley!

Also, thanks Rob P for posting the simplest, clearest 'algorithm' I've read yet.

I'm looking into completing my rite of passage but I've only just realised that I have absolutely no idea how Air Traffic Services operate outside of the UK. Obviously I'm aware that Basic, Traffic, Deconfliction and Procedural are UK inventions so... what the devil do you ask (presumably) Lille Approach for on first contact and where do I find out this sort of thing? The French AIP..?
And do I need to 'clear customs' somewhere in the UK?
I've read a bunch of guides (some published by members of this parish) and my knowledge is still holey. Thanks in advance!
By Rob P
For Le Touquet coasting out at Dover or similar, Lille will acknowledge your mid-Channel call and almost immediately pass you off to Le Touquet itself. They aren't the least bit interested in providing you with a service. Much of their 'domestic' conversation is in French, but they will switch to English for you.

You dial up the Le Touquet ATIS, jot down the details and then call Le Touquet at Boulogne Harbour (easy to spot)

They will give you the circuit direction and ask you to join downwind.

Call "downwind"

Call "final"

Park in front of the tower.

No customs clearance necessary outbound from the UK. Leave from a field if you wish.

That's it.
Last edited by Rob P on Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Mournkaye wrote:Obviously I'm aware that Basic, Traffic, Deconfliction and Procedural are UK inventions

Well, you're ahead of many Brits Abroad already. :lol:

Mournkaye wrote:so... what the devil do you ask (presumably) Lille Approach for on first contact

Requesting "Flight Information" will give you at least the equivalent of a Basic Service - often more. However if you're only going to Le Touquet, Lille won't be interested and will likely pass you direct to the airfield for a join.

Mournkaye wrote:and where do I find out this sort of thing? The French AIP..?

Also this book is sometimes recommended. I've no personal experience of it.

Mournkaye wrote:And do I need to 'clear customs' somewhere in the UK?

No; no Customs or Immigration requirement outbound (to the EU; at the moment...), 4 hours notice via GAR inbound. You will need to depart France from a Customs field.

Have a look also in my signature block and on the very helpful Francoflyers website.

PS Congratulations, Ashley. :thumleft: Easy, innit? :D
By jtuggey
Congratulations on your trip. I made my first return trip to Le Tourniquet last week - will write a report shortly but was so aided by all the useful posts on the forums.

Now emboldened, am planning my next trip. From EGCJ; land at Dinard for customs and then onward short hop to Dinan to stay with friends.

To clarify:
1. Has anyone had any recent experience at Dinan/PPR and the aeroclub based there
2. Am I correct in believing that have to depart for the return journey via a customs airfield (Dinard or Cherbourg for example)
3. Any other pointers/recommendations

Many thanks
By Keef
Re 1: No. Can't comment.

Re 2: Yes, you must arrive in Schengen and depart back to the UK via a Customs airfield. There aren't many of them in France these days.

Re 3: Depends a bit on what you're looking for. Generally, France is friendly, helpful and welcoming (with the odd exception). Buying Avgas can be an interesting challenge in some places: they expect you to have a local fuel card but you can't get one without a lot of palaver if you aren't a French resident. Search "Total fuel card" for some indications.

I like Rouen. It's an interesting old town and not too far for a day trip from the southern UK. I don't think I've been to a French airfield that I haven't liked, mind.
By TLRippon
jtuggey wrote:Congratulations on your trip. I made my first return trip to Le Tourniquet last week - will write a report shortly but was so aided by all the useful posts on the forums.

Now emboldened, am planning my next trip. From EGCJ; land at Dinard for customs and then onward short hop to Dinan to stay with friends.

To clarify:
1. Has anyone had any recent experience at Dinan/PPR and the aeroclub based there
2. Am I correct in believing that have to depart for the return journey via a customs airfield (Dinard or Cherbourg for example)
3. Any other pointers/recommendations

Many thanks

Went to Dinan last year, lovely town but were in the process of digging up the runway to make a new one, so please make sure there is something to land on. We only spotted the NOTAM on the day we were due to leave and the diggers were waiting at the hold as we departed.

The club there, as with many in France, is rarely manned and you just get on with it yourself. Have a taxi number ready if you need one as there will often be no one around to give any assistance. There are very few English speakers there. When we did finally find someone on departure, we paid the TDA and all was very friendly. It is 20mins by Taxi to the town centre.

We cleared customs at Cherbourg, cheaper than Dinard and had lunch there.
Last edited by TLRippon on Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Danskora
Going to L2K this afternoon, hopefully they really are open to 1800UTC and not local time...
By jtuggey
Thanks for the comments back. Hoping to go to Dinard and then onto Dinan this weekend.

How's this for a VFR flight plan? Plan to fly at 4000ft.
EGCJ DCT GAM DCT DTY DCT CPT DCT POMPI DCT ORIST DCT JSY DCT LFRD
Trying to avoid Q41 and EGD036 (although usually closed at weekends?)
Will I run into problems from UK to French FIR and then through channel islands CTR.

Any constructive advice appreciated.
By Danskora
I flew pretty much that exact route from Nottm to Jersey 2 weeks ago although I picked up friends at Popham. It was a doddle and I returned via the same route