Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Ridders
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Im attempting to get my details released to the FAA, by the CAA.
Back in December I requested they did this, (I hand delivered my application).

I paid the CAA £44 quid and filled out SRG1160 to send what I can only think is an email. I then applied to the FAA on their form via email, for issue of license on back of CAA one. I recieved an immediate response from the FAA.

So chasing this up - the FAA claim that they have never received the verification.

So I call the CAA up and they tell me it was sent in December. I contact the FAA who go through their records, no records of this found.
I call the CAA up again and I am told - send pldverifications@caa.co.uk an email.
Ive sent them two emails, asking them to resend, not even a response at all from them for over a week now.

The CAA seem to be worse useless, can't speak to anyone that does this job, fobbed off with "send an email" to someone after hanging on the phone "your 8th in the queue" to some hideous piano music for ages.
The FAA by comparison actually communicate by email, are responsive and actually seem eager to help. But I can not kick the CAA into any action.

Here I am in the US, right now, and guess what I am stuffed yet again. I have been to the US twice since originally applying.

Anyone else had experiences like mine, with FAA license verifications via the UK CAA?
Last edited by Ridders on Sun May 03, 2015 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
By BlackheathBloke
I tried last June, very efficiently took my cash, not so much on the verification side.

I gave up.
By Irv Lee
There might two different things here, not clear. There is a process for a Pilot with existing FAA license using the relatively recent CAA process to amend UK/EASA licence number on FAA records and license, which can be initiated through CAA, (and likely to be the Aeroexpo thing) but I suspect there is also a different process for a pilot applying to FAA directly for FAA license, which needs CAA confirmation of details from CAA to FAA, which I thought was supplied to the FAA on a request by FAA to specific CAA email address, after the CAA records have been checked for a pre filed 1160 before reply.
Might be wrong, things change, as some may have noticed over the past fifteen years!
By Ridders
This is for issue of an FAA licence, on the back of an existing CAA.

The FAA need to confirm with the CAA, that I exist and do indeed posess the license info, that I completed on their application form. So I have to pay £44 for the CAA to release my information to the FAA.

The problem Irv, is that I can not get the bloody CAA to speak to me and confirm they will do this. Two calls last week and told "send email". Emails sent, no replies. Infact Ive sent two emails, no avail.
Meantime I can contact the FAA who keep telling me the CAA havent sent them anything and they have no record. The FAA actually are quite easy to deal with.

BlackheathBloke wrote:I tried last June, very efficiently took my cash, not so much on the verification side.

I gave up.
I have a feeling this process is broken at the CAA end.
mpk wrote:Worked well for me in December, new FAA license arrived February. I'd ring not email.
Calling from the US to the "8th in line" CAA number isnt really praticable for me, as I am in the US, for two weeks right now.Its really frustrating in that I could have arranged my interview with the Local FISDO weeks ago, and been flying this week and next.

Meantime the CAA are have yet to answer emails. So much for the Red Tape Challenge. How about they just started communicating.
Im actually tempted to get my full FAA ticket...
By Irv Lee
Isn't it merely that the FAA are supposed to request the details directly and that hasn't happened? FAA waiting for something that is not going to arrive until they ask for it directly from that CAA email address from an FAA email address?
By Ridders
Oh yes, thats an ideal world, but the CAA in their infinite wisdom claim they sent it to the FAA before I even completed and sent my info to the FAA, this was back in December. Why the CAA sent it before it was asked for, I have no idea. Anyway, the FAA state they never got it, even if the CAA state they sent it, which I doubt, but I cant be sure of anything.

The FAA have stated "Please be advised, a verification request was sent to the UK CAA on 2/9/2015. At this time, we have not received a response from the Country. " and as of this week, they still havent provided the info.

All I need to do is get the CAA to send it through.
Simple you would think...

Lovely day here for flying this evening.
KRDU 311651Z 24014G20KT 10SM CLR 20/00 A2994 RMK AO2 SLP138 T02000000
By Ridders
I have decided to make a complaint to the CAA about their lack of communication. Its an online form,Ive selected email as my prefered method of communication. :(
By UV
And if you find it is their fault be sure to send them a large itemised bill for phone calls,letters, emails and time wasted etc.
I did and they paid up.
By Derryn
It's not just the CAA - I had a very similar issue 4 years ago with CASA in Australia trying to get my FAA piggyback (before I converted to my JAR ticket). FAA insisted they'd sent the request, CASA insisted they never got the request. I asked FAA to re-send the request, FAA refused stating they do not resend requests. I eventually had to convince the FAA to forward me a copy of the request which I then forwarded to CASA, with a date and time, whereupon they then looked back through their email logs and saw that they did indeed miss the request because it came through at the same time as somebody else's, and the whole issue was then resolved in 48 hours. Of course, FAA doesn't tell you that they're still waiting or have had an issue getting the information, so int eh middle of this process I lost 4 weeks just waiting, oblivious that it had completely stalled. Took forever to sort out, and I only managed to get it sorted the week I was due to land in San Fran!
By Ridders
Another beautiful day for flying here in the US. Not for me, of course.
KRDU 011751Z 03007KT 10SM FEW010 17/00 A3013 RMK AO2 SLP202 FU FEW010 T01720000 10172 20100 580
A little bit of FU eh.
By Paul_Sengupta
Ridders wrote:A little bit of FU eh.

Was it at FU as Kingsway?