Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
A couple of days ago, in a thread I can no longer find, there was comment abut how there was no direct US equivalent of CAP413, and hence that references for US radio phraseology wasn't so easy to find.

This was also discussed at Flinty's CRMposium, in the context of non-standard RT in the US causing problems and sometimes contributing to accidents.

I came across this today in my folder of "Things That Come In Handy", and might be useful for anyone who flies in the USA.

It's an AOPA US document designed to be printed out and turned into a set of cards for use in flight: "Say It Right"
By riverrock
Is it just me, that when I started to read through that I wanted to get out my red pen and correct it all back to the correct AKA British way of doing it?
I guess it has been well drummed into me!
By fattony
Dave W wrote:I came across this today in my folder of "Things That Come In Handy", and might be useful for anyone who flies in the USA.

I think that AOPA document is missing quite a bit of info. For example, under the taxying section it doesn't discuss the correct controller RT, which as we all know is: "You need to listen up and pay attention. I said right on Kilo, not left. Do you speak English? I can file a report too. How do you like them apples?"
By stevelup
Mournkaye wrote:I've only recently read that a clearance is not required for entry to class C and D airspace in the States, only two-way radio contact.

Yes. Even a 'standby' counts.

AIM 3-2-4 wrote:If a controller responds to a radio call with "(aircraft call sign) standby", radio communications have been established.
By Iceman
Yes, I was caught out by this one one dark night south of Daytona in my early flying days. We were discussing it only last weekend at Flinstone's Farnborough CRM course.

Iceman 8)
By Dave W
(This was written in response to a post that no longer exists! :D )

I have this VFR reference, picked up in the US some years ago.

I see it is currently advertised by Transair for only £3.00 (new stock due in a couple of weeks).
Last edited by Dave W on Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By James Chan
I've only recently read that a clearance is not required for entry to class C and D airspace in the States, only two-way radio contact.

How liberating/worrying*!

A clearance is required, implicitly given by two-way radio contact by the read back of your call-sign. It isn't as worrying as it seems as you must remain outside if two-way isn't established.

This mechanism has been long established as a means of reducing RT loading.
By Iceman
Dave W wrote:(This was written in response to a post that no longer exists! :D )

I have this VFR reference, picked up in the US some years ago.

I see it is currently advertised by Transair for only £3.00 (new stock due in a couple of weeks).

Ah, that's the one Dave. I deleted my post as I realised that the book disappeared along with my Bahamas' Flight Guide when I lent them to someone else (and they never returned them and I can't remember who it was :roll: ).

Iceman 8)