Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By hatzflyer
Don't honestly see what else he could have done at that height. I doubt a bail out was a real option and he still had full control.
Glad he made a good job of it and the outcome was OK but if I'm honest I don't think it makes him a hero. Sorry.
By Josh
The Air Force Cross isn't awarded for gallantry, but generally for acts of exceptional piloting skill in trying circumstances. I would hazard that this counts under those criteria.

He's a really nice chap too, not that that should count for anything.
By Keef
Good job done, looks repairable, and I reckon he deserves a gong as much as some of the folks who get OBEs and the like.
By hatzflyer
Having found myself in similar situations ( admittedly not in warbirds * ) on several occasions I have found that self preservation kicks in.
You either make a fair job of it or you die. In my opinion neither outcome makes you a hero, possibly lucky but no " Sky God " . ( I hate that phrase ).

* twice in a Percival Prentice though.
By Josh
I think you are being unfair hatz. The pilot handled an emergency well in a type with awful ergonomics and had the airmanship and flying skill to get the aircraft onto the ground on the airfield in a repairable state. The AFC is a reward for fine airmanship, and I find it strange that you seem to be begrudging the recognition.
By Miscellaneous
I wonder, did the pilot complete application form xyz1234 requesting recognition for his efforts, or did others decide he is deserving?

Assuming he didn't complete and post said form with the appropriate fee I think it rather harsh to direct any criticism in his direction, regardless of whether he is deserving or not.
By Rod1
I think he displayed fine airmanship. He was at 1800ft and could have jumped - he force landed a very valuable aircraft (historically and actually) with a very bad reputation for biting pilots. Good for him!

Rod1
By hatzflyer
I did not imply any criticism of the pilot, he did a fine job.
I am struggling to find the right words to express what I mean.
I can only say that I find an act of self preservation ,even when carried out to this degree of success the most natural way to address the situation in hand . He deserves praise, I have no problem with that but to what level?

I lost the engine in the Prentice crossing the north Kent Coast . I radioed a mayday to Southend who told me the danger area was active and turn back. I ignored their advice and just made it on a dead stick into Southend. My prime concern was to get down in one bit. I knew that if I did I could sort out the paperwork and fall out from the CAA afterwards. If I didn't make it it wouldn't have mattered. ( well ,not to me anyway! ).
The Prentice wasn't exactly a good glider and was a bit of a beast as aircraft go. Lady luck was with me on that day and I did what I had to do. Did it make me a hero? No it didn't even make the News.
I don't see it being so dissimilar to this event.

Please don't hang me out to dry, I have only posted this to express my own personal thoughts,which is after all what forums are for. I have told the story so that anyone reading my original post can understand where my thoughts are coming from.
Before any one accuses me of willy waving let me say , a problem arose, I dealt with it as best I could, I got lucky .
End of !
By Josh
I'm not trying to hang you out to dry hatz - far from it. Suffice to say, the military have medals as a means of recognising feats of airmanship and have chosen to do so in this case.

There is no equivalent civilian award, although I believe HCAP amongst others do have certain awards given annually for feats of skill and airmanship. That doesn't make your landing or this chap's any more or less a feat of aviating; simply that the culture surrounding military aviation for historic reasons chooses to formally recognise it whereas the most you get is respect from your peers in the know.
By kanga
I noted another woman DFC (only the 2nd ever ? ):

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/oper ... ruary-2015

"Afghanistan ..

Distinguished Flying Cross (DFC)

Flight Lieutenant (now Major in Army Air Corps) Laura Alice Hilary NICHOLSON, Royal Air Force"

I was a bit irritated this morning when R4 (male) interviewer was talking to 2 of the honorees, a male Captain and a female Staff Sergeant. As far as I could hear, Captain was addressed by rank and surname, and Staff Sergeant by forename .. :x
By Flintstone
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Could have been worse, he might have called her Poppet or Treacle.