Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Red Nose
It maybe slightly off topic.
I never forget that training day in Florida.
We started from 2-3 thousand feet, instructor said put your foggles on.
Followed his instructions about turns, turning descents, going level etc.
Finally when he said take your foggles off I found myself perfectly lined up, 10 feet up above R9R at Bartow. I was amazed how precise his instruction were to find myself in this position so close to the runway but he must have sussed me up how far to go.
By skydriller
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
My French FI does that to me whenever I ask for practice instrument time, though I have to say he usually tells me to take off the foggles at around 2-300ft on the approach - I usually figure what he is up to as we decend below 7-800ft, though not exactly which airfield we will be lined up on...
By TLRippon
Just to be controversial....

DIdn't we get past this "Certain death in seconds if you fly into IMC" thing some time ago?

IIRC the hypothesis has something to do with a study carried out some years ago which focused on a different issue and was extrapolated. I seem to recall something along the lines of the subjects being non-pilots?

The problem with this sort of video is that it perpetuates a Human Factor (Fear) which is not helpful in an emergency situation. In many cases, a non IR holder will have some experience of flying by reference to the instruments, even if this is just instrument appreciation time in training. Most pilots know the mantra "Always trust the instruments" when referring to the AI in IMC so should be better equipped than non pilots to remain in control for longer than a few seconds. Loading the scenario with the fear of imminent death would seem counter productive. Perhaps a video showing how to make informed decisions of the best resolutions to the situation would be more helpful?
By QSD
TLRippon wrote:Just to be controversial....

DIdn't we get past this "Certain death in seconds if you fly into IMC" thing some time ago?

IIRC the hypothesis has something to do with a study carried out some years ago which focused on a different issue and was extrapolated. I seem to recall something along the lines of the subjects being non-pilots?

The problem with this sort of video is that it perpetuates a Human Factor (Fear) which is not helpful in an emergency situation. In many cases, a non IR holder will have some experience of flying by reference to the instruments, even if this is just instrument appreciation time in training. Most pilots know the mantra "Always trust the instruments" when referring to the AI in IMC so should be better equipped than non pilots to remain in control for longer than a few seconds. Loading the scenario with the fear of imminent death would seem counter productive. Perhaps a video showing how to make informed decisions of the best resolutions to the situation would be more helpful?

I agree with you. The aircraft used in the original (1954) study had the AI, DI and VSI blanked off, the subjects had no instrument training at all and were flying an unfamiliar aircraft. Certainly a worse case scenario.