Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By marioair
Both lightspeed and bose do a no quibble returns policy. Buy a pair of each and try to your hearts content (within 30 days, original packaging blah blah)
By Jon Mercer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Mikey wrote:Trying to decide between a Lightspeed PFX or Zulu 2. Don't know anyone with a PFX and as they're still quite new I'm a bit cautious to be a £600 guinea pig (USA prices). Has anyone lived with the PFX for a bit and got any feedback? I seem to recall the reviews around launch time were good.

There's not a huge price difference between the two sets, about an hours rental. They're both excellent, but I went for the PFX as it can be flashed with new firmware. Some was released just today but I've not looked into it yet. In theory, this makes the PFX more future proof, but only so long as the updated firmware doesn't overload the hardware.

The big functional difference is that the PFX has so many features that you can end up flying the headset as much as the plane if you want to. Works best if you fly with an Apple device as this gives you in flight access to all the headset toys. Of course, you don't have to, but it's nice to be able to do it if you want to. But you definitely need to read the manual and understand it before you leave the ground.

EdH's PFX review last year was pretty well spot on. It's a great headset, best option out there if you like your toys.
By Mikey
Sounds like I should go for the PFX, I have plenty of time sat in the cruise to figure it out!
By Jon Mercer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I went with the PFX based on the extra functionality, the relatively small difference in cost between the PFX and the Zulu.2 and the notion of it being future proof.

If those are the same important boxes for you to tick and you're happy to figure it out I'd say go for it! I'd also doubt you'd be disappointed with the Zulu.2 either.
By trapdoor
After having a good look at both the Bose A20 and the Lightspeed, have decided to go with the Lightspeed Zulu PFX which is upgradeable and gives much more tweekability with things like vocal range boost etc. Also has a nice iPhone/iPad app to customise and also act as a record/replay device for both radio and intercom which may be handy..

I tried both the A20 and the LSZ2 on and the A20 was not much better headband-height wise than the DC's; headband is bulkier and the hinge in the middle can add a bit too as it sort of forms a peak/point. The LSZ2's were much more flush to the top of head.

What was interesting was the quoted price in the paper Transair catalogue for the PFX was about £100 cheaper than the website 'reduced' price, but on phoning them at Shoreham I was told the Website was the ruling price, even though the catalogue was Jan 2015 - So I'm afraid Pooleys got my business as the cheapest at £50 less than the A20 Bluetooth model.

Was quite tempted with the Phonak 7100's but not ANR and again, serious dosh for what looks like a fragile bit of kit.

Mrs T is quite pleased as she will get my DC 13X ANR's to replace her 10-13.4