Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Maxthelion
I believe I once met 'Anthony the cable joiner' who flies a cub, as shown in the LAA pics on a page or two back. He dropped in to visit Chilbolton whilst pottering around with a mate with a very nice Kitfox. He is a charming guy and what he said really struck a chord with me: 'Radio? I don't have a radio license and I fly from a farm strip. What would I want with a radio?' His Cub was a well lived-in example that he was doing up as and when time and funds permitted and was of course hand-swung.

Flying my plastic Jabiru at the time, I thought to myself that I wanted to be just like him when I grew up. I now also fly a vintage taildragger and I've done a bunch of other fun stuff, like aerobatics and air racing. I'm living my own dream, with no IMC rating, very few calls to any LARS stations and I can't remember the last time I needed to read back a clearance. I ignore the EASA stuff beyond the minimum information I need to keep my license and that's fine with me.

I love pottering through the sky at 600 feet on a warm summer's evening with the window open and my elbow resting on the window sill. It still feels like the feeling I got from flying gliders as a teenager. I'd love to meet Marj one day as he sounds like just my sort of guy. If there is a farewell fly-in for him, then count me in.

In essence, there are more Marjes around than Marj realises. The problem is that we don't make ourselves conspicuous because we prefer to bother anyone, and in turn be bothered by them. That extends to pontificating on forums. We'd rather just be left alone to our stubble fields and deer spotting from 50 feet, and all the other stuff that the CofA flying IR wannabe, Garmin 1000 brigade think is dangerous because it doesn't fit with their view that safety can only be regulated into existence rather than be the responsibility of the risk taker.
Last edited by Maxthelion on Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By Miscellaneous
Leighton CZ wrote:Having waded through this forum post I can understand Marj's position and sympathise with him, having said that I really did enjoy his rebuild story, more of this would be very welcome.
ALL of what various posters say regarding costs - over regulation - exams -Tosspots with Bars at the bar are all true, this is all found out after either getting a licence or attempting to get one.
But one of the main causes of new people not coming into the sport in the first place is the perception of GA in general.
It is expensive -- It is difficult -- It is dangerous -- You have to be 'Clever / Brainy' (we all know this not to be true) -- 'I could never do that' etc.
These misconceptions are to a large extent, 'Our fault', for example do you 'Play up' flying or 'Play down' flying when discussing it with other non-flyers?
I have three sons - A Beagle Pup 150 for 19yrs - A now elapsed CPL and FI rating -- I am the only one who flies in my family including my extended family of cousins nephews nieces etc, all of whom I could have taught to fly for free or very cheaply -- But there have been no takers.
It is all about perceptions and only we who know the truth are able to do something about it, whether writing to the CAA or anyone else.
A gripe on stupid rules, before I depart -- Why is a Bulldog able to go the LAA route and the Beagle Pup series not, when the Dog is a more complex type with wobbly prop and fuel injection with inverted oil and fuel system ??

Unlike Dave I disagree with MOST of what you say, Leighton.

In summary I don't think it is seen as expensive (their attitude to money amazes me), difficult, or dangerous (maybe not thrilling enough?) and I would be surprised if 'I could never do that' enters their minds.

I can identify with much of what you say; I was up and down for trial lessons like a yo yo before concluding the sensible thing to do was buy my first flat. On arriving at the production line in Florida many years later I recall listening to the current students and still thinking I can't imagine doing that. I don't recall thinking I wasn't sufficiently brainy.

With respect I think your assertions belong to my (our?) era?

I don't see modern youth as worrying about costs, their confidence appears to be unlimited, they all think they're Einsteins and as far as danger goes there seems to be no bounds.

I do agree the GA scene is not seen as 'cool', may be seen as dirty, smelly and generally not an environment youngster want to spend time in.

I think the perception of flying has significantly changed over the years. Whereas in 19?? flying may have been seen as the ultimate, in 2015 youngsters are spoilt for choice when choosing a 'sport' at the pinnacle of achievement.

As I see it and as Dave suggests, the appeal has gone. I agree GA could do a lot to once again make it appealing.

If I haven't upset you too much and should you wish to have someone occupy that empty seat then I would love to on the next visit to the 'inlaws' :D

Misc.
By DavidC
We'd rather just be left alone to our stubble fields and deer spotting from 50 feet, and all the other stuff that the CofA flying IR wannabe, Garmin 1000 brigade think is dangerous because it doesn't fit with their view that safety can only be regulated into existence rather than be the responsibility of the risk taker.

I couldn't disagree more with this statement. I'm very happy that you enjoy quietly pottering around in the sky, popping into short fields and free from the constraints of controlled airspace or even talking to others. Actually I'm quite envious and would like to do some of that too at some point - it sounds like fun rather than dangerous. But I'm also equally happy for others to use different types of aircraft to go places further away if they want to. These don't have to be contrary views. Perhaps my dream option would be a share in an IFR capable aircraft at the IFR capable airport and a separate one in a Cub or Husky at a strip near to home.

I don't know of anyone who thinks there isn't enough regulation in the GA industry at the moment, and that affects those across the entire spectrum. On the contrary, we must all push back on excessive red tape and regulation at all levels.
By GrahamB
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
It's funny how the 'CofA Garmin 1000 IFR wannabee brigade' can usually see the attractions of other types of flying, but often the sentiment doesn't seem reciprocated, going by some postings here.

It's a broad church, chaps, and just because one prominent poster happens to have binged on flying and got bored doesn't invalidate the pleasures that others get from It in its various forms.
By kanga
We had a wrap-up at JAM last night of the 2014 'group visits'; ie, those where we've opened specially to give organised groups a commentated visit, rather than our normal opening days (latter Sat/Sun, + Weds in school hols & HT, and BHs, including children's specials on NYDs). Overall, of our ~25K visits since opening in Aug 2013, about a quarter have been by 'children' (< ~15).

Figures show 96 events in 2014, of which 32 were for children's groups (Scouts (etc), Schools (Primary & Secondary), BB, ..). Children's groups amounted to ~850 child visitors (with accompanying adults: parents, teachers, leaders, ..). What is gratifying is how many of those children then come back (at their own insistence, parents tell me) with their own families.

That must be promising for future of UK aviation, including GA .. :)
By Kittyhawk
GrahamB wrote: just because one prominent poster happens to have binged on flying

Binge flying? Is that where you wake up at the side of the runway covered in vomit?
By James Chan
It's funny how the 'CofA Garmin 1000 IFR wannabee brigade' can usually see the attractions of other types of flying, but often the sentiment doesn't seem reciprocated, going by some postings here.

+1.

It's also funny how AOPA is sometimes associated with this brigade as well. Our membership covers an extremely broad spectrum, from permit to certified twins and beyond.
By James Chan
Perhaps but if anything was suggested I would think it was out of ignorance rather than there actually being anything evil behind it.

Here's an example:

It was unfortunate that at the last Class G conference hosted by the CAA, that the AOPA UK CEO was well received by the majority of the audience, but with disgust and disapproval by a group of old men in one corner as he talked about the possible future of airspace and the benefits some technologies could provide. That same bunch of men then went on to heckle other speakers.

A lot of anger and mis-understanding still exists out there.
By Frank Leopald
Well they're entitled to voice their opinions and we should support them without conditions.

Just give us the names. :twisted:

FL
By ChampChump
On the theory that my making a post late on tends to kill it stone dead, I'm going to answer the question in the title, if not the texts...

No.

:)
By Pugh Pugh
S'funny - I've noticed my posts seem to end threads too. :wink:
By ChampChump
Not necessarily...................

:roll: :wink:
By PeteSpencer
No; Paul Sengupta is the ultimate thread-knocker-on-the-header.

Well, of threads started my me!

Peter