Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By stevelup
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
TLRippon wrote:FSX is very graphic intensive. We use a piece of hardware to stretch over 2 screens and two other outputs to drive the projector and Operator station as a result we have a Xeon processor with 12 cores and bucket loads of RAM, Stacks of memory on the graphics cards too.

FSX won't use more than two CPU cores unless you tell it to. So make sure you check this:-

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthrea ... ost1778937

I'm not happy with the projection so we are moving to 3x50" LCD TV's placed closer to the windows to give an immersive experience and a 45 degree view.

This should be a lot better to be honest. Projection is only worth doing if you're doing it properly (curved screen, anamorphic lenses and so on).

I'm considering the move to X-Plane but I read lots of flack about it on the enthusiast forums.

Well, the long and short of it is that FSX is dead. It has had no development for many years now. If you want to stick with the FSX ecosystem, you could have a look at Lockheed Martin Prepar3D.

Bear in mind that you can try X-Plane at no cost, so you can give it a whirl.

Fancy a project Steve?

My problem is that I too often say yes to things like that and now have no life!
By matthew_w100
stevelup wrote:When in the 'calibration' screen where you can see the little graphs for each input, cycle all the controls through their minimum and maximum values. X-plane now knows the correct min-max values. Again, you only need to do this once.

And I've done that, three times! Still reversed, and still only drops to 1700 in the air. Comes down to 1000 on the ground, but not the 600 id expect.
Last edited by matthew_w100 on Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By stevelup
matthew_w100 wrote:One more! Just tried to download a Warrior, from that site. The acf file is, I am told, corrupt...

Which one? I'll try it here...
By stevelup
matthew_w100 wrote:And I've done that, three times! Still reversed, and still only drops to 1700 in the air. Comes down to 1000 on the ground, but not the 600 id expect.

Just waggling it around won't solve the reversal - you need to tick the 'invert axis' button. I suspect once you have inverted it and set the range, it will be OK.
By stevelup
matthew_w100 wrote:http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=8870

Make sure you're running at least version 9.70. If you've done a fresh install off the DVD and haven't run the updater, then you'll be on a really old version.
By matthew_w100
stevelup wrote:
matthew_w100 wrote:And I've done that, three times! Still reversed, and still only drops to 1700 in the air. Comes down to 1000 on the ground, but not the 600 id expect.

Just waggling it around won't solve the reversal - you need to tick the 'invert axis' button. I suspect once you have inverted it and set the range, it will be OK.

Sadly not.
By stevelup
So are you saying it is still reversed even after inverting it?
By matthew_w100
And sadly the updater doesn't work either. It is unable to write to the directories that it created a short while ago.
By matthew_w100
stevelup wrote:So are you saying it is still reversed even after inverting it?

Not quite. I have a three lever quadrant. For all three, with the lever fully forward (max throttle position, for example) the graph is right over to the left - ie no green showing. Pulled back (min throttle, coarse prop, mixture cut off) has the graph over to the right with a full green bar.

So I ticked the reverse on all three, which seemed to make sense, and went flying. Only to find the throttle was reversed but the mixture (of course there is no prop control on the 172) was not. So I unticked the reversal on the throttle (only) and it works fine. It doesn't actually matter that it's not reversed and the other two are, it just looks a bit odd on the calibration screen.
By stevelup
matthew_w100 wrote:And sadly the updater doesn't work either. It is unable to write to the directories that it created a short while ago.

If you installed it to somewhere that the default user doesn't have write permission, then this is understandable. Best place for X-plane is on your desktop, or in your documents folder. If you installed it into Program Files, you'll have problems.

You could try right-click > run as administrator.
By matthew_w100
Nope - it's in the default locations (on the desktop). I made no changes whatsoever to the standard install, except to reduce the amount of scenery.

I think, Steve, X-Plane and I will just have to agree we don't get on with each other, and I shall return to FSX. Many thanks for your assistance though.