Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Dodo
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I may be going in a few weeks and have just emailed Weston aviation asking about handling fees for a pa28. I will report back if/when they reply.
By Dodo
I gather that handling fee for a PA28 is £25, but reduced to £15 if all one needs is a basic meet/greet/bookout/weather handling service. Better than I had expected actually. Landing £15, parking £10/24 hrs. I hope to go in a few weeks.
By Colin G
DavidC wrote:They say to look at their website for details of (lower) landing fees, but I couldn't find any scheme of charges available online. How can we find out the prices apart from phoning them up?

Just look hard enough.
http://durhamteesvalleyairport.com/uplo ... Y15-16.pdf
By Dave W
Colin G wrote:Just look hard enough.

I'd have thought that places that advertise that they want to attract my custom would make an effort to headline their prices, rather than think that potential customers weren't looking hard enough because they didn't dig into a PDF that contains only part of the answer.

But maybe that's just me.
By skydriller
DavidC wrote:They say to look at their website for details of (lower) landing fees, but I couldn't find any scheme of charges available online. How can we find out the prices apart from phoning them up?

I remember mentioning this last month when the thread started... :study:
Colin G wrote:Just look hard enough. http://durhamteesvalleyairport.com/uplo ... Y15-16.pdf

Well, its only taken you a month to find that....and it isnt on the Handler's website, so is incomplete.
By EGBW-PPL
Living in the Midlands and with family in the NE very close to Durham Tees Airport, I have visited a few times over the years, but the price prohibits GA visiting for a "fun" day out. There is no fun in paying an uncessesary handling agent. I manage to park my my aircraft at most other airports, get out and walk over the to control tower to pay my "reasonable" landing fee of £12-£15 in most cases. sometimes I am required to wear a High Viz jacket (I can live with that) but paying in the region of £45 is just bonkers and will do noting to attract more customers. it is such a shame, as GA may be one of the only ways that Durham can continue to survive? its very quite currently.........and set to continue that way I would suggest.

on a visit last year after landing and having had lunch with the family living up there, my Nephew asked if he could go flying with me on a local flight over his house and school - of course I obliged, who wouldn't - But guess what happens, you get charged another landing and handling fee, I think it cost me near £90 for that day of "Fun"

Durham Tess Valley Airport, would do well to have a chat with the likes of Gloucester, a multi runway and busy GA field, always busy and with facilities that make it a Fun day out....... handling agents do exist at Gloucester but you don't have to use them and Gloucester Intend keeping it that way.
By Shoestring Flyer
They are not really serious about attracting GA business are they...
The cynical viewpoint could be that is that it is a 'Try it on token gimmick' so that someone can say at some point in the future to senior Peel management that they have tried to attract GA business without success and therefore the other options for the airport should be looked at.
By James Chan
So the new fees are a £6 reduction for a 0.5MT-1MT aircraft. Now £51 all-inclusive for 24hrs parking. Updated on the league table here: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=75633.

The based aero clubs need to look after light aircraft visitors if there are to be further reductions off the total fee.
Jersey, Nantes, Luxembourg and Gloucester (where self-handling is allowed) are good examples to follow.
Last edited by James Chan on Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
By skydriller
James Chan wrote:Now £51 all-inclusive for 24hrs parking.

..So not quite so GA friendly after all??

Gonna need a REALLY good reason to go there at that price....And the airport seems kind of in the middle of nowhere. Are there by chance regular cheap public transport connections from the airport to Durham?
By chrisbl
skydriller wrote:
James Chan wrote:Now £51 all-inclusive for 24hrs parking.

..So not quite so GA friendly after all??

Gonna need a REALLY good reason to go there at that price....And the airport seems kind of in the middle of nowhere. Are there by chance regular cheap public transport connections from the airport to Durham?

Its nowhere near Durham really!
Fishburn and Peterlee are both about 7nm from Durham City. Teesside is 17nm. (DTV).

Fishburn is grass. Peterlee has both grass and tarmac. Last time I looked, Peterlee was £2.50 per seat for landing. Overnight parking was £1. I think Fishburn is about £3 for a single, with hot grub on offer. I don't land at DTV. (Or Shoreham). :)