Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By gozap
Well on top of being grounded due to my recovery from a massive DVT Pulmonary Embolism in September caused by an innocuous calf strain that turned nasty and on Warfarin until March, so I guess no flying until then, I got the news today that the trusty steed which is in for it's annual has failed and needs a 20K engine refurb/replacement.

On the basis that the aircraft is only worth probably 10K at most, the group have to make a decision to either invest LOTS of money on a near 50 year old airframe to get her flying or gracefully scrap her (Robin HR200/100) especially as seeing how we spent 4 months this year waiting for a master switch to be sourced and then a suspension leg.

Our attempts to convince the CAA to put the aircraft on a permit proved fruitless so that is a cul-de-sac not worth going down again.

It never rains but it pours..... :(

P.S anyone like to buy some second hand parts? :D
By Frank Leopald
Parting out airframes is big business, so I'd think carefully before binning it.

I'm sure there will be bits with a second hand value to defray the costs and then this might make the replacement PA28 181 Archer more palatable a buy.

FL
By Sooty25
I'm not sure which is the bigger crime,

1 . scrapping/parting what is obviously a serviceable aircraft
or
2. £20k to overhaul a O-235

either way, sympathies... :(
By Jonzarno
gozap wrote:Well on top of being grounded due to my recovery from a massive DVT Pulmonary Embolism in September caused by an innocuous calf strain that turned nasty and on Warfarin until March, so I guess no flying until then, I got the news today that the trusty steed which is in for it's annual has failed and needs a 20K engine refurb/replacement.

On the basis that the aircraft is only worth probably 10K at most, the group have to make a decision to either invest LOTS of money on a near 50 year old airframe to get her flying or gracefully scrap her (Robin HR200/100) especially as seeing how we spent 4 months this year waiting for a master switch to be sourced and then a suspension leg.

Our attempts to convince the CAA to put the aircraft on a permit proved fruitless so that is a cul-de-sac not worth going down again.

It never rains but it pours..... :(

P.S anyone like to buy some second hand parts? :D

You don't say what the nature of the problem is so please forgive me if this turns out to be a red herring, but you may find some of the articles listed in this link useful:

https://www.savvymx.com/index.php/resources/articles
By stevelup
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
gozap wrote:I got the news today that the trusty steed which is in for it's annual has failed and needs a 20K engine refurb/replacement.

Haven't you got an engine fund?

What exactly did it fail on?

I don't think parting out an otherwise airworthy aircraft that just needs an engine refurb makes much sense![/quote]
By gozap
Evidently it requires a completely new camshaft and new piston rings. I must admit that it has seemed somewhat tired over the last 12 months flying and as for an engine fund, no we haven't had one for a number of years now since we realised that this fateful day would eventually dawn sooner rather than later. A pity really as she flies beautifully and both myself and the group members have flown many hours in her.

Every year we have found spares to be more and more difficult to source despite the Robin franchise being taken over to New Zealand. The certified parts simply aren't available any more, or are so expensive that we all knew that at some time a major part would render the old girl unserviceable on the basis of either cost, availability or both.

Damnit - If it was a car or on permit I'd do it myself, probably with bits from a Citroen 2CV!
Last edited by gozap on Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
By stevelup
Can't see how a camshaft and piston rings is going to cost you £20K!

Maybe get some quotes?
By PeteSpencer
I really feel for you:

We faced a similar problem after our towbar incident with an agonisingly long wait to see if the estimate to rebuild the engine and repair the a/c (45 years old) would exceed the write-off value.

Luckily we had a good outcome and the Ins Co forked out £35k...and we got a zero-timed engine.

We did however have an up to speed engine fund (doesn't everybody these days) so the surplus went to buy a GNS430W

If your airframe is as good as ours then a cash call for a new/rebuilt engine does not seem that bad a deal....

Good luck whatever you decide.

I can recommend a great Engine re-builder.

Peter
By ppppp
Well the group decided to get rid so she's up for sale in the appropriate section below.
See there for details.
By Paul_Sengupta
gozap wrote:Evidently it requires a completely new camshaft and new piston rings.

How about just replacing the camshaft and piston rings? A lot of older engines are kept going by doing bits and pieces on them.

gozap wrote:Damnit - If it was a car or on permit I'd do it myself, probably with bits from a Citroen 2CV!

You can work on stuff yourself, you just need it signed off. But there's some added complication of splitting the crank case if I remember correctly. Maybe you could ask the question of self repairing an engine in the tech section.