Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
I have some spare time over the next couple of months minus my aircraft :-( I'm going to sign up to the CBM IR(R) and was thinking of reading up on the TK in the meantime.

Various websites (pooleys, transair etc) have books and CDS for PPL studies, but I'm not quite clear what to buy for the TK. Just to be clear I'm looking at ebay etc for now until I sign up to a proper Ground school course
Last edited by marioair on Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By PaulB
Assume you mean IR as your sig implies you already have IR(R) (IMC). if so, interesting question. With the CBM IR, if the flying skills/competencies have not changed, then either the groundschool has or the way it has delivered has (or both) which makes it an interesting Q. I have to say, I find it the new requirements all quite confusing.
By marioair
Oops - yes I mean IR(A).

The EASA TK I believe has been reduced. Given I'm after second hand materials I'm not fussed if it'sJAR or EASA at this stage, I'm just keen to start reading up
By Balliol
Mario - as I'm sure you know you need to do an approved course with approved study material. I would honestly (and strongly) advise you don't bother lookinginto second hand stuff, it really is a waste of time and money, will be unstructured and can end up confusing the heck out of you! I know lots of people who have been put off forever by trying to start looking at ATPLs and the like before 'signing up for real'

ProPilot at Coventry are brilliant (others have good reputations as well) and with their structuted approach, support and accessible material you can actually enjoy and get something out of it all. I'd really recommend giving them a bell or popping to see them, I think some of their iBooks are Vailable as free taster downloads as well.

Good luck with it!
By marioair
Thanks for the advise. I'm not going to be in a position to start it (practical or theory) for another 6 months so I wanted to get a head start. It's surprising that there isn't a market for 2nd hand materials!
By A le Ron
Genghis the Engineer wrote:I've recently signed up to CAPT, and am working through their study material for the CBM IR(A).

Can't fault it so far, nor the price - although it's early days at the moment.

G

Do you have a link to their site? Thanks.
By marioair
Interesting link. I've had a quick scan read. Am I missing something or is much of the material what's already covered in a PPL + IMC??? If so why so much TK needed for it versus the IMC. Why do I need to pay 500-1000£ to do ground school - why can't I just self study from a book?
By GrahamB
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The book you are looking at does not cover the TK course, it is intended as a manual to the flying training, although some of the content does overlap with the TK requirements.

Whilst it is an excellent reference volume, it will not prepare you for the TK exams. Also, some of the IR Skills Test requirements have altered subtly since it was written, so there may also be points of detail which no longer apply.

Why can you not just self-study? Ask EASA! Just think yourself lucky that the CB route now exists. You used to have to fill your head with a lot more irrelevant rubbish under the previous syllabus.
By marioair
Seems like a bit of a monopoly and racket - you can only study for a course at an approved organisation and the organisations are approved by the same authority! You can't just buy an approved set of course materials
By 421C
marioair wrote:Interesting link. I've had a quick scan read. Am I missing something or is much of the material what's already covered in a PPL + IMC???

That link is to a manual for the Flight training part of an IR, not the Theoretical Knowledge.
By defcribed
marioair wrote:Interesting link. I've had a quick scan read. Am I missing something or is much of the material what's already covered in a PPL + IMC??? If so why so much TK needed for it versus the IMC. Why do I need to pay 500-1000£ to do ground school - why can't I just self study from a book?

It is a total racket. EASA, like a lot of similar bodies, also extends its mandate to creating a profitable and restrictive business environment for a small number of players in a market which, left unregulated, would naturally create a disparate, creative and competitive environment.

The direct comparison is A-level material. You can buy any number of books or look at any amount of free material online to assist you with just about any A-level from any examining board. The boards do not regulate how that material is delivered - schools do that - but you don't have to go to a school. You can just get in touch and enter for an exam, using any materials you want. The materials will vary widely in quality and price, but generally speaking you'll probably get what you pay for. If you pass the exam then you hold the qualification and that is taken as an indication that you displayed sufficient knowledge of the material. It is not an indication that you behaved like a good little boy and propped up a particular business that the governing body had taken it upon itself to support.