Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Volare
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Sorry for the confusion - substitute EFIS/EMS for PFMS - keyboard and finger trouble.

I like the idea of flight planning and downloading to an SD card or similar at home, going to your aircraft plugging in and flying. But I still think it better to take the whole 'screen' unit home for planning via USB with your PC, then taking it with you when you go flying, plugging it into/onto your panel and having full EFIS/EMS with SD in the background and have it drive your autopilot as well.
By Rod1
I am getting a lot of questions so forgive the FAQ!

Can I use SD anyway – even if I have PFMS.

SD does not have to run on the EFIS – Ideally you would export all the nav data onto the EFIS using one of the standard transfer file formats then you just transfer any updates and the plan for the day. If you want to use SD instead of PFMS for the planing bit the chances are that one of the output planing formats will allow you to get the plan into the EFIS – but you will be using PFMS navdata. You will also be paying two sets of subscriptions for two very similar products.

How do you get updates and plans into the EFIS

SD card or USB are the most common.

Airfield info

On PFMS you can export your navdata into the EFIS – this contains full airfield info for most places you are likely to want including most strips. I have a full set of data for all of Europe loaded. PFMS is updated daily, the export is free provided you have an up to date subscription.

Time to install the HW

This is very hard to predict. It depends on the existing aircraft systems and the panel. My guess is that the average reasonably competent LAA type could do the work in around 50 hours as an upgrade from a steam setup.

Ongoing work

Very little – once it is all set up it requires no tinkering other than putting updates onto the SD card. I keep two cards and rotate them so I have one at home and one in the aircraft. If you change the kit in the aircraft then you need to make changes – the last one I did was fitting a Mode S transponder – I connected the encoder from the EFIS and also an RS232 cable for ADSB out – with the com port set to off till I am allowed to transmit ADSB out. The setup etc is reasonably intuitive and there are owner forums and factory support if required.

Is there still room for improvement

Yes – my system is not touch screen and the level of integration and the connections are getting less complex. I have not flown with a touch screen system but I suspect the result would be more tablet like. The sensors and the “networking” is also improving but this has very little impact once your system is working. Radios and Transponders are also becoming more connectible, often via RS232 and the range of servos which can be connected directly, as opposed to via an autopilot, is increasing, again connected by RS232.

Are there many integrated solutions in use in LAA aircraft.

Most high speed LAA touring aircraft have uncertified EFIS solutions with high levels of integration. This will become even more popular when new rules on IFR come in next year.

And lastly – no I do not do this for a living, but I may set up Bodgit and Scraper LAA owner assistance when I retire. :twisted: I am involved a bit on projects to increase integration and effectiveness in the Aerospace world.

Rod1
By Basil
Weather: That is hardly mentioned above, whereas it is the single biggest missing info in my cockpit (SD on Nexus for nav, Garmin 296 as backup and to drive the autopilot). We need the sort of weather info that is readily available when it is not so critical, i.e. on the ground.
By Paul_Sengupta
This has happened to a friend in the US with an RV-8. No amount of prodding, disconnecting or anything will bring it back to life. He says it's a good job he has separate radios and other bits and bobs. He's talking to the manufacturer to see if there's anything they can suggest.

By Rod1
Having the radios connected does not stop them working independently and if you have two screens you can use either to drive everything anyway.

Rod1
By Paul_Sengupta
If you control the radio frequencies via the large screen it's a bit of a problem. Also there's not much room in an RV8 to put a second screen! :D