Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Human Factor
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
A CAA Permit is usually applied to ex-military aircraft which are not built to defined civil standards. The Permit allows them to be operated in accordance with manufacturer specification - sort of a "CofA lite". They must be maintained by an approved organisation.

Hire and reward/valuable consideration is generally not permitted, although that is beginning to change (Boultbee for example).
By Rob P
HowardC wrote:In the credits, I saw the film was linked to Simon Marsh 1962 - 2013. I had to look via Google to find that he was the senior chap at Mark One Partners. These are the people who built the fuselage on the Isle of Wight.

Not so. Mark One Partners own and fund the aircraft; both Mk 1 are now up for sale.

Airframe Assemblies at Sandown build the fuselages: http://www.airframes.co.uk/

Retro Track & Air are the company coyly referred to in the programme as 'a company in Gloucestershire' who were responsible for the Merlin: http://www.retrotrackandair.com/

Rob P
By Rod1
" I just think it is a huge shame that we no longer design and build stuff that the world wants."

We are the 7th largest manufacturing country in the world and we even build large chunks of US fighters (well the F35). RR have been known to build the odd engine for the rest of the world as well :lol: .

Rod1
By Human Factor
We have the second largest aviation industry by market share in the world, after the US. :thumleft:
By kanga
Human Factor wrote:We have the second largest aviation industry by market share in the world, after the US. :thumleft:

I make a point of telling youngsters visiting JAM (whether in youth group/school group visits or with families during normal opening) that

- aviation is still the largest manufacturing interest in Gloucestershire
- almost every Western airliner has important components made in the County
- the industry, including CGHI-based businesses, is one of the largest sources locally of school-leaver technical apprenticeships

.. and that they might wish to shape their ambitions on this basis ..

[oh, and of course we have 2 propeller manufacturers in the County :) ]
By MichaelJP59
Only just watched this, but did enjoy it. Of course there was plenty of archive padding but not too bad for a 90 minute programme of this type, and you can always fast-forward it. Wish they had made it a series along the lines of A Plane is Born.

The shots of Castle Bromwich Jaguar factory; I thought there was nothing left of the Spitfire factory, but presumably there is something to see?

I love the engineering that goes into these Spitfires but I wish people would be more honest when they talk about restoration or rebuilding. These are beautifully engineered replicas whose owners have bought the "rights" to give it a certain identity, nothing wrong with that.
By Bill McCarthy
I, and I'm sure many others would pay a fair bit for a guided tour of the rebuild facility. I need to see more !
It is a bit unfortunate however that the name "Guy Martin's Spitfire" will stick with it - he admitted on Radio2 yesterday that he was there on very brief visits only over the two year "build".
By Ragwing
Bill which prog on Radio 2 was that????
By Rob P
Bill McCarthy wrote:I, and I'm sure many others would pay a fair bit for a guided tour of the rebuild facility. I need to see more !

These happen about once a year

In the meantime can I recommend

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Spitfire-Mark-P ... 1908117060

for anybody who wants to learn more about the rebuild of their earlier Mk1

MichaelJP59 wrote: I wish people would be more honest when they talk about restoration or rebuilding. These are beautifully engineered replicas whose owners have bought the "rights" to give it a certain identity, nothing wrong with that.

By 'people' I presume you mean publicists for TV production companies? There is no pretence that they are other than what they are from the owners or rebuilders

Rob P
By PeteSpencer
I just watched it on catch -up.

I thought it was a great programme:

Behind that apparently naive goofy demeanor I'm sure lurks a first class engineering brain.

Still can't get my head around it being 'Guy Martin's ' Spitfire There can't even have been much of the original owners' Spitfire left.

Manufacturer's plate only I guess?

Peter
By Rob P
Pete S wrote:
Manufacturer's plate only I guess?

Peter

No. That was never recovered.

Rob P
By MichaelJP59
Rob P wrote:
Bill McCarthy wrote:I, and I'm sure many others would pay a fair bit for a guided tour of the rebuild facility. I need to see more !

These happen about once a year

In the meantime can I recommend

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Spitfire-Mark-P ... 1908117060

for anybody who wants to learn more about the rebuild of their earlier Mk1

MichaelJP59 wrote: I wish people would be more honest when they talk about restoration or rebuilding. These are beautifully engineered replicas whose owners have bought the "rights" to give it a certain identity, nothing wrong with that.

By 'people' I presume you mean publicists for TV production companies? There is no pretence that they are other than what they are from the owners or rebuilders

Rob P

Mostly yes, but I'm sure the average person reading this (from the Mark One Partners website about P9374) would assume they've worked hard restoring the original buried airframe to flight:-

"In 13 October 2000, Thomas Kaplan and Simon Marsh purchased P9374 from a French aircraft enthusiast and, with the dedicated team at Aircraft Restoration Company in Duxford, England, began the long process of painstakingly restoring the plane to its original condition and making it flight worthy. With its return to the skies over its homeland on August 30, 2011, P9374 is the earliest Mark of Spitfire flying anywhere in the world."
By BlackheathBloke
Just watched it myself.

Very good programme, enough for the non-aviation person as well as the more aviation minded.

Never heard of Guy Martin, but apart from having too much hair seems a nice enough chap. Seeing as he wasn't there that much, he certainly looked choked up once the MkI taxied in from it's maiden flight.

Very nice touch, having the daughters there. :thumleft:
By masterofnone
BlackheathBloke wrote:Never heard of Guy Martin, but apart from having too much hair seems a nice enough chap.

He's most reknowned for this sort of thing