Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By MichaelP
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
You just want me to make a pot of tea!
If it's okay with Chalkie White...

Three of the Katanas have been fitted with 912S 100hp engines and the performance of these is a lot better than the 80hp 912F versions.
But the 100hp engine is not as good, nor as smooth, as the 80hp engine. It has a few problems.

The 100hp Katana climbs at 850fpm, cruises at 105 KTAS at 65% power, and uses a lot less fuel than the Flight Manual would have you believe!
I flew a 80hp Katana in the tropics where this aeroplane outperforms the Cessna 152!

I wanted to buy a bunch of DV20 Katanas built with the 100hp engine in Austria.
Last I heard, Diamond in London Ontario were flying a C1 fitted with a Rotax 912S... It seems to be a secret.
The retention of the constant speed propeller allowed with the lighter Rotax engine is an advantage.
By Ridders
Just back from 3 weeks in US and in North Carolina they really don't do tea (apart from iced tea..yuck).I always take a pack of Yorkshire tea with me and boil it in a pan on the stove as they don't seem to do kettles either.

Michael P did you get to see the video in thee end? if it's a content blocking geography issue try "Hola" VPN. easy to install on an iPAD if you have one.
By oldbiggincfi
MichaelP wrote:Perhaps somewhere in the West Country.

Michael

What about HALDON - the home of the flying circus.

You probably don't remember me !
I was the unfortunate who flew the Apache G-ARJU on the Breakfast Patrols.
You had us when we appeared over the horizon, so no free bacon for me and the crew.
But, you didn't get all of us and not me when I low levelled the Aztec G-ATKW.
You couldn't do that now, with the standard VFR departure squawking 3767.
You'll get a good pot of tea in the Pilot's Hub.
The lady who does makes fantastic cakes - born in Torquay as was I.
I went to Teignmouth Grammar a very long time ago - sad to say not all at Redhill respect their Elders !
By JonBoy
Sorry to drift off from the Redhill theme (great film by the way, enjoyed it) but you guys (oldbiggin & MichaelP) are bringing back lots of lovely memories of the great old days of the Exeter Flying Club! Michael - I did my first solo in poor old G-BBUO too. Ted King, Dickie Dougan, etc. Absolute LEGENDS that don't get made like that nowdays! Oldbiggin - I was born and went to Dawlish school, then on to Teignmouth High for 6th form! Haldon - now THAT is an idea and a half......!
Michael, you are quite right about what you say about the old days at Redhill Tiger Club. They were the best flying days
of my life. Just fly for a genuine 5-10 minutes without having to talk to any airtraffic control on the radio, was pure stress relief to get away from everything. Just to bimble around for that short time and not have to bother with landing fees also helped. I so envy anybody who now flies out of a farm strip. Unfortunately I am now based at Biggin with my Vans RV6 as there is no where else within a sensible driving distance from Purley. Biggin is really too expensive, but I believe nowadays Redhill is even worse. Michael, you are so lucky to fly in the wilds of Canada and Thailand. Those days of freedom are mostly gone ---- except many smaller strips in France are still radioless ! It is hardly surprising that with over 300 Vans in the UK, I am the only one at Biggin !! I have been down to the new tea room at Redhill ( by car ) and I thought it is the best thing down there for years. What is now needed is a reduced landing fee with the purchase of fuel and many more would come for the wonderful cakes. In fact I would like to write an article about which airfields have the best cakes !!! Regards John -- P.S. I still have the low level air to air photo that you took hanging in my hall of my Robin DR221 G-BHRW
By john ball
Unfortunately it is far too small for a VansRV6. It was for weight shift microlights. Not sure if it is still there. Many years ago when I had a Taylor monoplane, we had it on a strip just to the west of the north end of the M23, but like many strips the residents and council objected and ruined our fun.
By MichaelP
I lived in Dawlish and first soloed in G BBUO :D
I remember Haldon unfortunately for the demise of G BDSN :(

Hmmm...I remember flying the King Air Apache years ago... :D :D :D

Now I live in a place where ATC reigns supreme!
It was so pleasant to fly out of White Waltham again a few months ago, over the green English countryside talking to no-one.

Here Mode C is mandatory.
There is more controlled airspace below 2,500 feet than surrounds all five London Airports, Heathrow, Gatwick, London City, Stansted, and Luton.

It's pis sing rain outside, 5,500 foot cloud base, but I am compressed in time to get everything done before I head off to Chiang Mai next week. So it will be up in the Cessna 150 to complete the instrument flying requirement for my students' night rating if the Boundary Bay weather permits.

I would be interested in Haldon if there's anything that can keep the wolf from the door down there.

There was a lightning strike outside my apartment as I completed writing this... Nasty electrical storm, 'wonder what it portends?

By oldbiggincfi
MichaelP wrote:Hmmm...I remember flying the King Air Apache years ago

That was G-ARJV - Did my instrument rating in that one with Gordon King.
As did many others .

MichaelP wrote:I would be interested in Haldon if there's anything that can keep the wolf from the door down there.

Afraid it's rather overgrown with trees and Gorse now.
Made a mistake of landing there in a Fournier RF4 back in the 70's.
Had to take to one of the paths to get off again.

Here's what it used to be like when my Dad was just a teenager living close by in the higher reaches of Teigmouth.

Like the gyro - copter ?
By MichaelP
That's a Cierva Autogyro... Let's use proper English and not cobbled American.

Should we club together and make an offer to buy and restore Haldon?
By Dickie
You just want me to make a pot of tea!

Michael - I hope that you'll be pleased to know that we serve proper pots of tea in the Pilot's Hub, made with Yorkshire tea no less ! (or Earl Grey, Peppermint, Fruit/Herbal etc). And really excellent coffee too ! Look forward to welcoming you sometime.

Richard
By MichaelP
'look forward to it :)