Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By James Chan
...facing closure in Mid-October if no buyer is found: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-la ... e-29412152

If that happens will the based GA businesses be able to negotiate an agreement with the local government to keep a certain percentage of the airport open with a shorter and narrower runway or will we be looking at yet another repeat of Filton, Plymouth and Manston?

It is probably the last remaining regional airport covering that area of the country which has good value landing fees.
By mpk
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=91301

Can't seeing it fully close with several businesses there plus its the gas field HQ with their helicopters. Survived for years with only a IOM and Dublin service in the days of BIA and Air UK. Not sure what a shorter or narrower runway would do?! Jet2 have been very profitable with their 8 or so routes, so I guess this is a case of not bringing in enough revenue through their contract, catch 22 - we won't come if you charge high prices. There is certainly the load factors out of there for several flights a day.
By foxmoth
Not sure what a shorter or narrower runway would do?!

It means you can sell some of the land for development, have more people to complain about noise (in spite of the fact that the airfield was already there) and still end up with it closing :roll:
By UV
It is probably the last remaining regional airport covering that area of the country which has good value landing fees.

..equals cheap? Always a pilots aim!
Maybe, only maybe, that is one of the reasons for its potential demise!
By gfry
Does anyone know what the asking price is?
By gfry
stevelup wrote:£1 probably :lol:

Well if it is making a loss and has been for years, then I cant see them getting top dollar....not without prior building consent.....which I assume they don't have.
By johnm
It's carp management again isn't it. Airports like Blackpool need to understand what they are for and then do it well at low cost. Mind you since Blackpool no longer has any idea what it might be for............ :( :roll:
By UpThere
gfry wrote:Well if it is making a loss and has been for years, then I cant see them getting top dollar....not without prior building consent.....which I assume they don't have.

I've read that Balfour Beatty have planning permission for a couple of hundred homes on the old Pontins site at the end of runway 28. Might be more interest in building them, if the airport closes ...
By gfry
UpThere wrote:
gfry wrote:Well if it is making a loss and has been for years, then I cant see them getting top dollar....not without prior building consent.....which I assume they don't have.

I've read that Balfour Beatty have planning permission for a couple of hundred homes on the old Pontins site at the end of runway 28. Might be more interest in building them, if the airport closes ...

None the less, the airport is up for sale and they are struggling to find a buyer. Maybe they are plotting to let it go to the wolves so they can build their development at the old Pontins site.....I doubt it though, they will be after recouping as much money as possible from the cash cow.
By mpk
But the airport is NOT for sale.
By BlackheathBloke
Indeed, I can't see an airport operating company being worth much at the moment.
By gfry
mpk wrote:But the airport is NOT for sale.

So what is for sale if it is not the airport? surely it cant be a business that has been making a loss for several years?
By James Chan
Not sure what a shorter or narrower runway would do?!

If there's no longer any aircraft that will need the whole length of the runway there's an argument that maintaining a shorter one for the traffic already there will reduce its operating costs and thus making it viable to operate again.

The last few airport closures have seen something along the lines of the ENTIRE field being shut, ALL its land redesignated and sold off, and ALL its GA operations displaced. Land developers and local politics at play with complete disregard for GA transport, connectivity and business.

I've mentioned this before but there's a danger of sleepwalking into grass airports in the middle of nowhere, and CAT-capable airports with hideous mandatory handling fees.
By chevvron
Indeed. Plymouth could so easily be re-opened with a single runway and reduced facilities, it's just (I think) the local authority haven't the money to do it. It can be done, just look at Llanbedr, all it takes is someone to invest with a guarantee they won't decide to sell it on.