Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By carlmeek
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
On this foggy morning as I look out of the window I can see that our ducks are grounded. Usually they'd have departed, only to return in the early evening. They are very sensibly walking around on the ground.

So this got me thinking - can ducks fly IFR? Can any birds? Or are they day/VFR only much like myself?
By Dave Phillips
Birds are generally more adept at making go/no go decisions. Indeed, a scan of the Bird AIr Accident Investigation Board database indicates that CFIT events are almost non-existent. Perhaps we need to learn some lessons from our feathered friends. :)
By carlmeek
Dave Phillips wrote:Birds are generally more adept at making go/no go decisions. Indeed, a scan of the Bird AIr Accident Investigation Board database indicates that CFIT events are almost non-existent. Perhaps we need to learn some lessons from our feathered friends. :)

True i'm sure, but there are regular occurrences of CFIW (sadly window glass foxes them)
By Race200
I can report a case of CFIW. Last weekend a Pigeon flew into my kitchen door.

Unfortunately the pigeon was not reusable and suffered fatal injuries at the crash site.

A sad day for the Pigeon world.
By skydriller
Race200 wrote:I can report a case of CFIW. Last weekend a Pigeon flew into my kitchen door.
Unfortunately the pigeon was not reusable and suffered fatal injuries at the crash site.
A sad day for the Pigeon world.

...However, things are looking up for tonight's pie....mmmmmm..... :pig:
By matthew_w100
Dave Phillips wrote:Birds are generally more adept at making go/no go decisions. Indeed, a scan of the Bird AIr Accident Investigation Board database indicates that CFIT events are almost non-existent. Perhaps we need to learn some lessons from our feathered friends. :)

Have you ever seen a swan land? CFIT every time!
By Keef
In the depths of winter, it's pitch black round the (village) church when I unlock the vestry door for Evensong. The door needs a sharp kick to open it, and the resulting crash from the ironwork scares the pigeons roosting in the old oak tree. They launch with a loud clattering, but I have no idea how they see to get back to their perches: they must certainly have night ratings. I've not seen them fly IFR.
By Grumpy One
Aah! A sage saying, long remembered advice before I went off on my first trip to sea.
It was from my dear old late dad, after he'd spent a lifetime at sea, tramping through all of the world's oceans and seaways, in the depression years and through WW2 ..... " Lad", he said to me, putting his arm around my shoulders, "Lad, always remember son, Wet ducks never fly at night". ... I've always remembered that.....
By joe-fbs
I'm no bird expert but I understand owls have night ratings.

When seeing birds fly in fog (braver birds than the OP's ducks or less fog) which would stop us, I have figured it to be some combination of them flying more slowly than us and I think most importantly, they have spent millions of years evolving to move in 3D while we have not. I imagine they have very different balance sensors from us. Any biologists out there?
By mick w
An Instructor once said to me , " There are only two things that fly at night ...Bats & Tw@s ".
RIP Ian . :thumright:
By carlmeek
Dave W wrote:
Dave Phillips wrote:Perhaps we need to learn some lessons from our feathered friends. :)

But not every lesson, perhaps. :D

That looks like a main spar failure?