Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By stickandrudderman
What are the LAA going to do to bring the association in line with the 21st century?
The website is desperately under-utilised; yesterday there was a post on this forum about an LAA fly-in at Fenland and this was the first I'd heard of it. I went to the LAA website and EVENTUALLY found a link to the Royal Aero Club site that mentioned the event but I would expect the LAA site to offer the info itself.
It's also impossible to book a place on an engineering course without having to call them during office hours. I'm sure the courses would be much better attended if you could book and pay on line.
I won't even mention anonymity on their forum.
I will mention the apparent fiefdom that is engineering. I've got nothing against Francis but it worries me that if he were to drop dead tomorrow then the whole process would be severely compromised.
I am probably in the minority when I say that I think membership is too cheap but as far as I know the LAA has never asked its membership that question.
By Miscellaneous
When will the join webpage be made fully secure for payments?

Misc.
By ozplane
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
What impact does he think ELA-1 will have on the maintenance of Permit/Annex 2 aircraft?
By Flying_john
How about formulating an LAA proposal that sweeps up all the small light aircraft that are under various Pan European authorities, schemes, permits etc into one class of aircraft that are over 40 years old (on a rolling basis) or where the manufacturer no longer exists, where the duties of a Type certificate holder are no longer adequately performed - say under 200HP, up to 4 place, into one class of Flying machine that may be administered under an LAA scheme of permits to fly.

John
Last edited by Flying_john on Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By ozplane
You mean like the proposal in the USA? Sounds eminently sensible to me.
By Rod1
What is progress on getting approval to run LAA permit aircraft on up to 10% ethanol?

What is the likely date for a draft "IFR spec" so builders can start taking things into account on building or refurbishing aircraft?

What is the current membership and has it varied much over the last 3 years?

Is there a plan to expand the LAA coaching system to allow people to qualify for a PPL on an LAA permit aircraft operating from a strip using an LAA coach?

Rod1
By Peter Gristwood
Flying_john wrote:How about formulating an LAA proposal that sweeps up all the small light aircraft that are under various Pan European authorities, schemes, permits etc into one class of aircraft that are over 40 years old (on a rolling basis) where the manufacturer no longer exists, where the duties of a Type certificate holder are no longer adequately performed - say under 200HP, up to 4 place, into one class of Flying machine that may be administered under an LAA scheme of permits to fly.

John

Why not keep it simple

Aircraft where design is over 40 years old. Some, like the DR200/300 series would be excluded from your definition.

We do have a TC holder but they aren't producing any more of them
By Flying_john
I thought that was the premis, that the DR200 type designed was prior to 1955, that the recent case was being made to EASA.

My proposal was the year of manufacture, not the design date and the DR200 on G-Info (G-AYDZ) is a 1965 so would be captured by my definition as would the five DR300s on the register.

Even G-BUTH is a 66 like my own GY80.

John
By Peter Gristwood
Gets complicated, doesn't it

There are a host of PA28s and C172/150s about older than ours. Would they be able to go to Permit? I'm sure they'd love to, but, as we found with the Robins, EASA aren't keen on depriving a TC holder of a company asset...
By EdH
FLYER Team Member  FLYER Team Member
Thanks to those who got questions in this morning - we did our best to include a number in the interview.

As for the ones above that come in after we'd started, I'll pass them along and see if we can't get some answers for those too. Phil is keen to get feedback.