Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By peterlondon
My first visit to Old Warden/Shuttleworth Collection yesterday.

What a great place.

Fantastic collection in the hangars and a great flying display.

I really wish I had discovered this as a fly-in venue sooner.

We were lucky enough to be staying overnight which meant we were still there at close to sunset when the Avro tri-plane (replica from "those magnificent men" film) took to the sky. What a great sound and sight at it bimbled slowly around the airfield as the mackerel sky turned golden.

I will definitely be going again.
By AerBabe
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Brooklands and I were there too, as he kindly gave me a lift to the LAA rally and had this as a stop-off on the way back.

It's been about 10 years since my last evening display at OW, and it was lovely to go back. I took a few photos, but am several events behind in organising them... but this one stood out and, as you mentioned it...

By David Viewing
My family home was under the circuit at RAE Bedford where the Triplane was based during the filming of 'Magnificent Men'. There was one memorable week when it, and maybe one or two of the others, could be seen regularly overhead. Added to that, one of the boys in my school had connections and led a group of us to the derelict steam shed at Bedford where the 'Jones Goods' was kept while filming on the old Hitchin line. We were allowed to clean the engine and grimy it was, working hard every day to get that tunnel scene. So two different life-forming events in one week!
By Brooklands
Peter,

Old Warden is one of my favourite places - the airfield layout means you get a much more intimate display than possible at other places. Don't just restrict yourself to flying in, otherwise you stand to miss out on some superb displays. With a few exceptions all the aircraft in the hangars are airworthy, and given the right conditions thy will be flown; I've been there when all five of the Edwardians have flown, and while the Boxkite and Avro Triplane are modern replicas they still have 100 year old aerodynamics and handling.

I saw three aircraft parked by the fence when we left at around 21:00 so I presume one of those was yours.

Thanks to Aerbabe for accompanying me and helping with the navigation both getting there from Sywell through Bedford's one way system, and the impromptu diversion n they way home caused by a road closure. Her Elk Hounds Bisi* and Disa- attracted a lot of attention - lots of people wanted to stroke them, and only a few committed the faux-pas of mistaking them for "a well known sled-dog".

Brooklands
* - I may have got he spelling wrong
By AerBabe
*Busy.

*Elkhounds.

But I'll let you off as you avoided using the 'H' word!
By AerBabe
Hokey Cokey.
By The Kissimmee Bum
FLYER Club Member (reader)  FLYER Club Member (reader)
Paul_Sengupta wrote:Hunter?

Himp?
By kanga
Brooklands wrote:
Thanks to Aerbabe for accompanying me and helping with the navigation .. through Bedford's one way system, ..

<non-av> .. I recall from early '70s while driving to Cambridge from Gloucs getting stuck in this. Traffic jam halted me beside a scruffy door with plaque 'Herts and Beds Family Planning Association', which I somehow found memorable .. :)