Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By davidair
I hope it works! I realise it's not feasable everywhere, but public transportation from an airfield to a local town or city, if otherwise too far to walk, is always a good incentive for me to visit :)
By Irv Lee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
On behalf of us all, thanks for the invitaton but I can't see the local airfield pub/cafe being too pleased that every forumite here just goes round to your place to eat when they fly in.
By kanga
Sory, did not mean this posting to be controversial .. :?

But:

a. for fly-in visitors, wishing to go into Cheltenham, there is now another option (in addition to hire car, MP3's new bike hire, and taxi). Yes, a few might want to go merely to eat in town (loss of custom for the Aviator, I guess), but there are other good reasons to visit:

http://www.visitcheltenham.com/

[in view of my 'location' tag I should particularly mention:

http://www.holstmuseum.org.uk/ ]

.. and, in particular, Festival events (various Festivals throughout year):

http://www.cheltenhamfestivals.com/

When I get my LitFest brochure I usually look through it for events with aviation connexions and, if there are any, post about them here, eg

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=72127&hilit=litfest

but, further:

b. this may help carless locals get to the airport, including planewatchers, including family groups (more business for Aviator! Although they can obviously also come to JAM and our cafe on the other side of the airfield on the fast 94 'bus every 10 minutes .. :) ); but also airport workers who may not have cars. Latter may include former Air Cadets of mine who have over the years enjoyed there all of work experience weeks from school, holiday jobs, and apprenticeships.

So I hope the route attracts enough riders to keep going. It won't be as good a service as diverting the fast 94 would have been, but better than nothing.
By Paul_Sengupta
Also the Aviator serves alcohol, so it would be a good way of having some pints there and then staying in town.

We just need a Jersey like incentive now, I guess subsidised by the council, for a £10 landing which gives you up to a week's parking included...
By kanga
Paul_Sengupta wrote:..

We just need a Jersey like incentive now, I guess subsidised by the council, for a £10 landing which gives you up to a week's parking included...

please don't put it that way, Paul: mp3 has enough to put up with local Councillors:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=90995&hilit=staverton

.. and local paper ideologues:

http://www.gloucestershireecho.co.uk/Qu ... story.html :?

.. but there might, presumably, be nothing to prevent him creating a promotion for reduced parking in connexion with Cheltenham hotel bookings or Festival event ticket sales, which could be seen by neutral-to-slightly-hostile Councillors as boosting the local economy. I fear that there is nothing which will convince the outright hostile ones ..
By Paul_Sengupta
Indeed, it's something that could be used to show how the airport is benefiting the local area by bringing in visitors.
By kanga
lobstaboy wrote:Kanga I congratulate you on your use of the apostrophe in 'bus :)

aythenkyou :)

[I also routinely write 'plane, 'phone, ..]
By Jude098
Really door to door for me too Kanga.... but probably takes nearly an hour round the town whereas I can drive door to door in 12 mins with flight bag, seat cushion, shoes ( been told it's frowned upon flying in 3" heels lol ) all in the boot.

Great idea for visiting pilots though
By PeteSpencer
Jude098 wrote: ( been told it's frowned upon flying in 3" heels lol )

Why not? The Rear of the Year does it all the time..... :roll:
By Jude098
Can't see why not flying in the heels.... never had any trouble driving in them

Dare I ask who is the "rear of the Year"?
By malcolmfrost
Irv Lee wrote:On behalf of us all, thanks for the invitaton but I can't see the local airfield pub/cafe being too pleased that every forumite here just goes round to your place to eat when they fly in.

Maybe, but some people don't just want to go to an airfield and stay on it, especially if they've got someone with them!
If you are owned by a council, it is probably quite good politically to point out how much business is brought to the town by the airfield.
After my comprehensive fleecing by Cheltenhams finest taxi driver the only time I've visited, this has to be good news.