Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Balliol
Dave - as you are an ex IMCR to CB IR pathfinder, would be very interested to read a bit about how you found it, what was hard/ok, what prep would have done more of etc
By jwoolard
I'm not sure how well Jim Thorpe is doing at Gloucestershire.

I was his first CB IR (non-3rd party ICAO) candidate - I passed last Wednesday.
By MultiMagic
question- I heard the CBM IR theory was quite different to the standard IR theory. Does that affect anything in the future if the pilot subsequently adds a CPL and wants to progress to ATPL / MCC / JOC etc?
By Dave Phillips
Balliol, a quick précis.

About 2000hrs total time, CPL, FI, FE including IMCR instructor/examiner privileges. 70hrs or so on MEP. Whilst all ratings were valid I would say my currency was minimal (70hrs in the last 12 months).

I completed the old-style IR theoretical exams earlier this year as my original credits had expired. The examinations were relatively simple with about a month's worth of evening study. As a CPL holder I only needed to complete five exams.

Our ATO attained the CBIR approval in early July and I started traing immediately. The assessment flight was basically a mini skills test incorporating precision/non-precision approach, unusual attitudes and a bit of assymetric work. This flight does not count towards the minimum dual training requirement. We then considered how best to make use of the 10 hr (minimum) training time. Clearly the assessment flight is important as this defines the direction training will follow. For me, we decided to hit the full test profile straight away; a test takes about 2 hours so we were looking at 5 or 6 trips. Clearly it makes sense to incorporate routes/airfields that are likely to be encountered during test.

Personally, I found the full profile format from the outset challenging. I think this was due to my relativel lack of IF currency and having to learn a multitude of different lessons in one trip. Having to think about dragging ADF needles was a pain as was cockpit management; the key to a successful IR trip is being ahead of the game with frequencies etc. Another problem was learning the 'school way'. Flying schools have traditionally started with a clean sheet of paper and then spent 50hrs teaching Bloggs to fly in a particular way. Faced with a greying mongrel like myself presents different challenges for both. I take my hat off to our instructors who had to put up with a boss asking 'why?'

The test - nothing new but the nerve factor shouldn't be underestimated. Dare I say, but the IR test is designed to fail. It is my impression that, whilst there are clear boundaries, the examiner is looking for someone who has the capacity to be flexible and adaptable.

Recommendations - in the big picture I was probably a very current VFR pilot on entering the course. I work in GA, don't have many of the distractions faced by others (although work is rather busy right now) and everything needed to plan, brief etc is immediately to hand. I think it will be difficult for the 'average' GA pilot to make the grade in the minimum number of hours required - I did it in 1.1hrs above the minimum although should reiterate it was MEP with all the associated assymetric stuff etc. That said, if you know (own) your aircraft then thing should be easier. I think the CBIR is an excellent way to develop piloting skills and those of us who traditionally stopped at IMCR now have a truly achievable target for advancement. My top tip for anyone thinking about CBIR is to fly accurately, now. Don't just accept hdg/alt deviations.
By Neil Morgan
There is a guy on EuroGA forum that converted hir FAA IR to an EASA one some weeks ago now. He did the test in Belgium, and reported positively on the experience.
By AndyR
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Adrian wrote:Well done! Hope you have fun using it.

I'll lay odds that he does.