Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.

Should pilots accept "restrictions" in uncontrolled airspace ?

Yes, pilots should co-operate (i.e. treat it like controlled airspace).
67%
No. It's uncontrolled airspace! Pilots should generally not co-operate.
33%
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I think the issue is where the controller expects it rather than making polite requests.
By coolbeans
Paul_Sengupta wrote:I think the issue is where the controller expects it rather than making polite requests.

Im not so sure, It seems several of the previous posters are of the view that under no circumstances should aircraft under a BS aircraft be requested to move/accept a level cap to help achieve deconfliction distance, which completely disregards a whole section of the cap774.

I apologise if I am misrepresenting anyone, but thats just how it reads to me
By stevelup
I've never been in this position - mainly because I rarely bother calling up for a basic service :lol:

That said, if someone did ask me to do something, and I could comply without putting myself in danger, it wouldn't even cross my mind to question it. It's difficult for me to understand the mindset of the pilot in the original scenario.
By skydriller
stevelup wrote: It's difficult for me to understand the mindset of the pilot in the original scenario.

Dunno how I missed this Thread, but Ive just trawled through it, and despite spurious references to rich bizjet owners at Farnborough, if I understand correctly the original incident we are (were!!) discussing possibly happened at Boscombe? My guess is from the initial quoted MOR that the Pilot in question was mooching about and wanted to cut though between the combined mess of ATZs/Matz etc there, possibly even hoping to have a look at Stone Henge on the way and was point blank refused...But now having established contact, the controller then asked him to do something for them, and having just been told "no, stay out" his attitude was probably "No, I'll go away and do my own thing outside of your MATZ in class G, thanks".

Usually if you get a "remain clear of controlled airspace" response from somewhere when asking for a transit, you never hear back from them so the latter part of the Pilot-ATC exchange which is the subject of the MOR would never happen.

And as for the vote, Its never as black and white as your options.

Regards, SD..
By Paul_Sengupta
coolbeans wrote:
Paul_Sengupta wrote:I think the issue is where the controller expects it rather than making polite requests.

Im not so sure, It seems several of the previous posters are of the view that under no circumstances should aircraft under a BS aircraft be requested to move/accept a level cap to help achieve deconfliction distance, which completely disregards a whole section of the cap774.

I apologise if I am misrepresenting anyone, but thats just how it reads to me

I think there are degrees of. I think it comes down to this:

1) Most people are happy to be separated, perhaps visually, from an airliner or a biz jet or military aircraft or an IFR approach

2) Many people are unhappy about having to be separated from 3 or 5 miles or whatever of empty air because the "other guy's rules" say so and expect other traffic to comply in a "let me through" manner. Many people are unhappy about the tools used to do so such as orbitting, when it's not their request to be deconflicted by a large margin.

3) *A very few* people think that any airfield they're passing should accommodate *them*. However this attitude may stem from (2), being told to do something which isn't necessary and is a large inconvenience.

My personal view is that if deconfliction distance is required, that the person requesting the deconfliction be given the instructions to deconflict - *unless* the other traffic is happy to accommodate, and should be asked nicely to do so, not instructed or given a generic restriction just because the airspace might need to be used.