Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.

Did your examiner properly explain it was for a licence and class rating?

Yes
42%
No
58%
By Jude098
FlybyMike I stand corrected, BIENNIAL

But suppose as I did 2 x 1hr flights with an instructor in my second year I could call it bi-annual, lol.
By Sir Morley Steven
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Rob P wrote:What's a 'Skill Test'. Is that anything like a GFT?

Rob P

Yes.
By Sir Morley Steven
SteveC wrote:Your question does not make sense.

I am sorry you don't understand. I hope Irv's post made it clearer.
By SteveC
Sir Morley Steven wrote:

Yes, shame it took someone else to clarify your post .

I renew and revalidate hundreds of licences and ratings a year and would doubt if more than 5% of people actually use the correct terminology. If an examiner can't ask a question clearly it does not leave much room to criticise the pilots?

I have taken the pragmatic route and just look at what is presented to me and work out what needs doing.
By Sir Morley Steven
SteveC wrote:
Sir Morley Steven wrote:

Yes, shame it took someone else to clarify your post .

I renew and revalidate hundreds of licences and ratings a year and would doubt if more than 5% of people actually use the correct terminology. If an examiner can't ask a question clearly it does not leave much room to criticise the pilots?

I have taken the pragmatic route and just look at what is presented to me and work out what needs doing.

Everybody else appeared to understand it Steve. What was it about my question you couldn't appear to grasp?

But keep on digging mate, we're all enjoying it.
By SteveC
No digging at all. Your question was unintelligible. Read it again. Skill test for what? An LPC? Initial licence skill test? Class or type rating skill test? What exactly was the examiner supposed to be explaining?

I just expressed an opinion.

Let's not get into a pissing contest.
By Gertie
SteveC wrote:I have taken the pragmatic route and just look at what is presented to me and work out what needs doing.

Well quite. The bright ones? honest ones? will present you with their current paperwork and say "I no longer have a clue what's going on here, please tell me what I need to do".
By davey
Gertie wrote:
SteveC wrote:I have taken the pragmatic route and just look at what is presented to me and work out what needs doing.

Well quite. The bright ones? honest ones? will present you with their current paperwork and say "I no longer have a clue what's going on here, please tell me what I need to do".

Agree :thumleft:
By skydriller
Sir Morley Steven wrote:Everybody else appeared to understand it Steve. What was it about my question you couldn't appear to grasp?

Well, actually I didnt understand the question until I read Irv's post.....

...But now I do, and no, "the system" wasnt explained to me because I did my PPL during the transition period from CAA to JAA.

I was actually advised to do the "old CAA" exams because "its easier"... However, I insisted on doing the "New JAA exams" because I thought that with my job and frequent travels around Europe, it might be better to have a "European" licence as opposed to a national one. I was the first student to do the JAA-PPL at that flight school and as such there were alot of "fudges" purely because the Instructors/examiners involved didnt know the new syllabus or how things worked - I was their test case. Despite the issues at the time, I think I made the right choice because I ended up moving to France permanently.

Regards, SD..
By Paul_Sengupta
Jude098 wrote:When I did my JAA PPL I was booked in for a GST !!

GFT / GST heigh oh whatever it was still THE TEST :?

Pre-JAA it was an NFT (Navigational Flight Test) and GFT (General Flight Test). This is what Keef, Rob, Pete, FF and I did, and probably a whole host of others on here. When the JAA was brought it, they were combined to form a GST (General Skill Test?). So it wasn't THE TEST before, it was one of two tests. Didn't the NPPL revive the NFT and GFT?

To answer the original question, "When I did my skill test", it was 1996.

Or did I misunderstand the question?

Oh, did someone explain the revalidation thing? Is that the question? Yes, I needed to get a signature or stamp or something in my log book every 13 months.
By bunt
Pre-pre NFT it was just a GFT. I am pretty certain Keef only did a GFT as I did
By flybymike
Yup, no NFT in the early eighties.