Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Just hearing on the news, that a man has been killed and his 9 year old daughter seriously injured during an emergency landing on Venice beach Florida.

Initial pictures seem to show a Pa28 at the waters edge, the pilot and passenger were unhurt.

The father and daughter were apparently walking along the beach when the aircraft attempted an emergency landing.

Very sad...

No doubt someone will find a link on Skynews.
By FlarePath
Probably not the answer people on the ground want. But. The risk factor is so low and the cost/certification/maintenance etc etc, would far outweigh installation on a cost/benefit analysis. Cheap option take a nautical air horn and shove it out of the storm window, if you have the presence of mind while'st trying to save your own life.
By mpk
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Blimey I was there just earlier. And on the beach before lunch at Sharky's!

By JonEBgood
Now reported that the daughter has succumbed to her injuries. :cry:
By hatzflyer
Being in the USA I can't help wondering if the pilot will be charged for homicide or whatever they call it.
By mpk
Doubt it could even be manslaughter, though the suing will start but guess insurances cover that. Sad thing is I suppose the child may have lived if it had been a high wing. Don't know what height he was at when it failed and easy to say now, but surely putting it just out to sea eg. by only 20m is better.
By Gertie
mpk wrote:surely putting it just out to sea eg. by only 20m is better.

If you see nobody on the beach you can have some confidence that there's nobody on the beach.

You're not going to see heads bobbing around in the water, so if you see nobody in the water you simply don't know whether there's anyone there or not. And if there are people in the water it's odds on they're within 20m of the beach.

So if you see nobody on the beach and nobody in the water surely it makes sense to go for the beach, as you run less risk of damaging other people?
By mpk
Sure, but that wasn't the case on the day, check out my photo above taken about an hour before the incident. With what must have been a landing roll of probably 100m on sand it was obviously a busy beach. So going for the sea further out even 50m? would have appeared less risky.
By flybymike
Looks like the outcome of Flyingmac's recent beach landing (also PA28) could have turned out far worse than it did.
By Sir Morley Steven
Never done it ( hope I never have to) but as I write I would rather turn my aircraft into rotating blades brimstone than land on humans.
By Flyingmac
flybymike wrote:Looks like the outcome of Flyingmac's recent beach landing (also PA28) could have turned out far worse than it did.

We turned away from the nearest beach when a number of people were spotted, both on the beach and in the water.
Luckily the second option was just in range, and clear. Otherwise it would have been a ditching.

Not having knowledge of the facts, I would be extremely reluctant to criticise the actions of another pilot faced with similar circumstances. We simply don't know enough to say that he increased his own chances of survival by putting others at risk.