Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By irishc180
Alternator gave up just coasting in at Woodvale. Landed at Barton as planned. Diagnosed the fault with multimeter. Ordered new Alternator AOG from Saywell. Can't get a local engineer or based engineer to fit it. Will gladly pay. Any recommendations. Need it fitted Tm morning.

I have a number for a freelance guy with tools at the field called Clive. Can't raise him. Anyone else a suggestion other than Westair??

Irish
By Flintstone
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Mmmm, sorry. Not my neck of the woods.

Good luck, enjoy the B&B! :D
By Squadgy
When you say you cant get a based engineer to fit it, do you mean you have spoken to Westair and they can't / won't ? They are in the hangar next to Mainair on 0161 787 8811

Edit to say, I can see you're saying 'other than Westair'', sorry. They're the only engineering on site.
By Frank Leopald
Clive's good. There's plenty of Bartonites on here so hopefully one will get in contact.

Plan B; if you can get a full charge on the battery, Liverpool is only 15 - 20 mins away and Ravenair are based.

FL
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
When I've had similar problems...

a) Charge battery
b) Use it to start and for the radio to depart
c) Switch off master switch
d) Fly to destination. Switch master back on for radio call to destination

Simples! :D
By irishc180
Hi,
Yes Westair who had helped me in the past can't touch it till next week....I'd rather get the same person to remove the old one and fit the new one. This Clive chap would be the man (I hear) if I could raise him on the mobile. Is there anyone with better contact details for Clive you might send me a pm.

I got stuck like this before and getting the old alternator off is easy, getting the new one back on and tightened, locked up etc requires a bit of talent/aircraft specific tools.
By Dave Phillips
Agreed, give the battery a full blast on a charger, start on external power if you can and then get going. Other forumites here have flown from one continent to another in such condition. :)
By irishc180
I would charge it and shoot on if I was stuck far from civilisation... Scotland/West of Ireland etc but Manchester should be the sort of place you could get talent/tools. There's 2.5m people living up here says google.

I have the new part coming here for 10am in the morning but not going to leave for Ireland without getting it fitted. Even if it means flying someone over from home to do it.
By irishc180
Hi,
Think I'm sorted. Got Clive. Seems like he'd put a wing on a bee, as they say. Should be on the road for 12. Handy to have a man with the tools on hand.
Last edited by irishc180 on Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By The Kissimmee Bum
FLYER Club Member (reader)  FLYER Club Member (reader)
Bit late in the day now but I would give Ravenair a call at Liverpool. They will probably be able to get somebody out to you.

Ironically several of their engineers used to run the maintenance organisation at Barton and live locally. Top blokes.

TKB
By Squadgy
Did you get fixed up? Think you departed earlier?
By irishc180
Yes, got away there today at 1400. The part came from Saywells as promised and Clive sorted me out. Total delay was in the order of 24hrs of unexpected time there. You can't really rock up to maintenance organisations in high summer and expect AOG service on such unscheduled repairs. That's why a freelance guy is so handy to know.

Thanks for the interest.