Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Flintstone
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Given the way my last 'this-thought-just-popped-into-my-head' thread went (south!) I'm reluctant to start another but here goes.

The Fury is a 7/10 semi-scale replica built from plans. What level of embuggerance would it be to scale the plans back up to 10/10 and build from there? Obviously some materials and components would require more than a simple beefing up but is it do-able?
By davey
Thinking laterally, and not having a clue what sizes are involved. How about photographing the profile parts, Ribs etc. then having them scaled up on a commercial printer ?

Edit: the photos would be of the plans not the actual parts..
Last edited by davey on Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By VRB_20kt
a) Not sure that they make bolts that are 10/7 of n millimetres...

b) Some (most I suspect) forces increase as the square of size... :pale:
By nallen
What level of embuggerance...?

A lot. (Plus, any the visual tweaks that the designer made to make the 7/10 look "right" would be enlarged, so that you might end up with something looking even less like the real thing.)
By ozplane
And then you would need a RR Kestrel to drag it all along.
By Genghis the Engineer
Pretty straightforward, but it wouldn't be a linear scaling and you'd have to completely re-analyse the aeroplane.

70% linear is 0.7 x 0.7 x 0.7 = 34.3% So by volume that full scale aircraft will be just under 3 times the size, and thus weight. Your main structural components then will have to be at-least 3 times as strong, which means that some components - mainspar, fuselage longerons and undercarriage particularly will need to be about 3 times the cross sectional area as well, not just 30% bigger.

So the internal shape will change a lot, and the total weight for a 30% bigger airframe by linear scale will be around 4 times as great.

Rotational intertias will change as well, which particularly will change spinning characteristics so that'll be a major area of re-testing, as will stalling characteristic due to the significant change in wing loading (wing area will only increase by about (1/(0.7*0.7) = 2, so the wing loading will about double). Other than that, handling should be pretty similar, but performance will need completely re-evaluating.

G
By golfcharlie
When I visited the build of the French 7/10 Mossie built at Lucon some years ago, I asked about the plans. The answer: Tres simple, Monsieur. Aeromodeller Plans Service and enlarge."
It worked for them. Saw their Mossie slow roll last weekend at Vichy. The rest was a bit of a bore.
By Crash one
Doesn't the Reynolds Number thing come into this? I don't know how it is applied but it's not possible to just "scale" linearly or it's all wrong.
By Paul_Sengupta
Marjorie wrote:v(e/a*)in

Is that the equation to use?
By mick w
Think of a 32nd scale model Balsa Aircraft , it might have 16th" square longerons ,I doubt you would build the full size one with 2" x 2" ones . :thumright:
By Flintstone
Rotorboater wrote:Scaling is what photocopiers are for :D

By George, that's it.

A photocopier, right? Linked to a 3D printer!!
By Frank Leopald
My warped mind works the other way.

What about a double scale Turb or Cub? Everything in proportion just twice as big. You'll have to compromise with the seat and controls but imagine the sight of something that looks much nearer than it is.

FL