Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By TonyC
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Pete S wrote:If it's due to overheating you'll get a little message to this effect before it shuts down.

My iPad overheated and shut down again in the air last week: beginning to consider other iAlternatives like a Mini or iPad air.

Do you leave 3G turned on ?
By PeteSpencer
Yes: Isn't that how it gets its weather and other updates?
By TonyC
Pete S wrote:Yes: Isn't that how it gets its weather and other updates?

Yes, But having 3G on all the time makes the unit very hot then it over heats.
By gadgetjunkie
IIRC SD route logging is triggered around 30kts. Could be something to do with that being activated, which could indicate an incompatibility with another running app, an app which would of course no longer be running after a restart.
I'd try experimenting with SD during a car journey (as a passenger of course :) ).
By damhead
The way to trouble shoot this problem is to take the i pad out side onto the street in front of your house on a hot sunny day then run down the street as fast as you can. Remember to hold the i pad in full sunshine during your run-up.

Let us know how you get on.
By alexbrett2
I wonder if there's a loose contact internally somewhere, and the vibration from the takeoff roll causes it to reboot?
By Moli
Is the iPad 1 "new enough" to run the latest versions of SD?

Moli
By The Kissimmee Bum
FLYER Club Member (reader)  FLYER Club Member (reader)
damhead wrote:The way to trouble shoot this problem is to take the i pad out side onto the street in front of your house on a hot sunny day then run down the street as fast as you can. Remember to hold the i pad in full sunshine during your run-up.

Let us know how you get on.

I'd be inclined to jet off somewhere warm and sunny and hire a native chap to do the running up and down in the sunshine whilst I sipped cocktails by the pool.

Will undoubtedly help in trouble shooting the ipad issue and it will help the local economy too.
By PeteSpencer
All he's got to do is put the iThingy/SD on his car front passenger seat in full sunshine then do a few Indy 500 starts up his local bit of motorway.
By Peter Gristwood
Moli wrote:Is the iPad 1 "new enough" to run the latest versions of SD?

Moli

Nope

A while back SD stated that Apple won't allow updates to iOS 5 machines like the original iPad, so we are stuck with where we were. We get chart updates (Ithink) but no fixes or upgrades

I note that, for example, we can't access track logs saved from the Cloud, which is a bit of a bummer!
By ZOGman
I trust you are not taking off into IMC, without the appropriate flight planning, equipped a/c etc. and are only dependant on SD as a toy backup? :P
By defcribed
Flintstone wrote:Don't forget, you can't clear the gate in your car.

Says who??!!

All that said, the bizarre limitations and ubiquitous overheating issues surrounding the incredibly expensive Apple products makes my mind boggle.

They really must be a triumph of marketing and image over technical capability.
By ianfallon
TonyC wrote:
Pete S wrote:Yes: Isn't that how it gets its weather and other updates?

Yes, But having 3G on all the time makes the unit very hot then it over heats.

And saps the battery life. Turning off Bluetooth is another option to reduce power load.
By hatzflyer
This is probably a stupid question but ....
As stated I am using an Ipad 1 (which I bought second hand ).
It is the one with ?the most memory (64 what's it's ?) But no GPS with a Garmin glo .

When I just turned it on in the front room and pushed the go flying button and it found the satalites in an instant and showed my position correctly without the Garmin glo!
Surely that means it must have the GPS function.

Could it be that because I thought it didn't have it I have always used it with the glo blue tooth and that has been causing my problems ?
By Paul_Sengupta
On the ground it'll use your home wifi to figure out where it is! :D

Does it have a sim card slot?