Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By ZOGman
I have invested ‘Loads of Dosh’ over the years to qualify and maintain my qualifications to operate and maintain an IMC/Night fully equipped Spam Can!

It seems now, from arrivals at fly ins, I meet more and more LAPL pilot/owners arriving courtesy of GPS in otherwise ‘no go’ IMC?

Am I being ripped off or just a Mug?

Go for it!!!!! :twisted:
By Keef
No. You are more likely to survive if it gets to be seriously IMC.
I'm pretty sure if you ever got deep in the doodoo with IMC, and didn't know what you were doing...you'd part with an awful lot more money to get back down safely. I know I would!

Do your own thing, my experience of aviation is that there are plenty of chancers. Old pilots and Bold pilots...all that jazz

(from a middle aged BALD pilot :P )
By AlanC
Neither - you're being honourable... How much this may help when paying the bills is debatable of course!!

Bring on PtF night/IMC - with a suitable safety case.
no, the others are being mug. do they really think that just with GPS or other such things, they could get out of a serious bad weather situation? no. I would never, ever try it, as I have never had the training to do so.

carry on as normal.
By Gertie
davidair wrote:no, the others are being mug. do they really think that just with GPS or other such things, they could get out of a serious bad weather situation?

Do any of these plastic-fantastic glass-cockpit uncertified aircraft have a blue button?

If so, then what's the problem? :D :lol: :roll: :shock:
There are far too many fliers of permit VFR only aircraft who think that putting an iPad AH in the aircraft will mean they can fly in IMC. They ignore that they are not trained in instrument flight and that the lightweight aircraft is not a stable instrument platform.
I've given up telling them how stupid they are because I can't stand the abuse I get in return.
My twopenn'orth :)
By Ben
Zogi
I always told you that you are a mug :lol: :lol:
(Too good an opportunity to miss) :twisted:
By seanjd
I'm planning on doing my IMC once I've got my PPL.

If that makes me a mug, I can live with that
By Ben
No, you are not. Keep on spending, one day you will get your investment back.....that will be your own life.
By Josh
How do you know they have no training? The fact that they're not in appropriately certified aircraft is not an indication of being untrained.

Either way, it's a bloody silly thing to do...
There are two sides to every coin, of course, and usually one of them is the financial side :!: .

It takes a lot of £sd to attain (and maintain) an instrument rating, of whatever flavour. If you use that investment regularly and can justify or excuse the expense, then so be it. If however, one chooses (like me) to not spend that money, then one has to put up with legal and practical restrictions to one's flying. Weather diversions become the norm (a practice sadly poorly attended to in the PPL syllabus).

A lot of pilot friends of mine only fly "under the hood" to maintain their IMC rating, which seems a waste to me.

So you are not being a Mug, depending upon what you got (and maintain) that rating for.

Rob.

p.s. But you are a mug for giving this thread such a cloudy :pale: title [/pet hate].
By Joe Dell
I'm confused by the original post. I've been to many fly-ins, but can't remember having to do an instrument approach to any of them. GPS has been helpful though on a number of occasions. Is it being suggested that I shouldn't use it?