Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Fitter2
I second the 18-95 as almost ideal; the Super Cub 150 does have the ability to whip the flaps up smartly on placing the wheels carefully on the ground during a landing on (or maybe above) the nominal cross wind limit. The airfield operator remarked 'That was a lot less exciting than we were expecting'. :D
By Keef
That looks very nice, but will need to move onto the G-reg if I understand the EASA rules (not for safety, just for bureaucracy). Tempting...
By RobertL
Connie Edwards a warbird collector is selling his collection which includes a Spitfire, P-51, ME 109, however AOPA magazine reports that

"Edwards favorite airplane is a blue and white Piper Super Cub with an oversize 180 hp. engine that isn't part of the sale. He's unsentimental about the rest."
By QDMQDMQDM
OK, as I say to my kids when they present me with yet another fantasy aircraft -- Staggerwing, Spartan Executive, Lockheed Electra, Pilatus Porter, DC3, Aircam etc etc: "But what's yer mission, mate?"

Tooling round on a summer evening and going to airshows and generally enjoying the enormous swag of owning an historic aircraft:
L4 with 65HP. Gorgeous handling and a joy to fly, but hope your passenger isn't a fatty.

Best bang for your buck Cubbing and stripping fun: PA18-95, L18C.

For real short-stripping, off-roading, carrying a load and that general hot rod feel: PA18-150 +/- all the trimmings. But comes at a price and fuel consumption cost. Heavier on the controls too than its lighter friends. But I love it.
By Trent772
No, but you can fly it with the door off !
By QSD
My vote is for the L21B. Reason? Cubair have one on the fleet and I get to fly it :D
By kanga
To answer OP's question: the one which someone will let me fly .. :)
Last edited by kanga on Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By MichaelP
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
My vote is for the L21B.

I used to fly G PCUB, 135hp, lots of fun.

'Went to Gatwick and checked my baggage for the flight to Montreal...
'Got two hours...
Drove back to Redhill, pulled the Super Cub out of the hangar, went for a quick bimble, drove back to Gatwick, and caught my flight.

The stupid things we used to do.
I frequently took the Cub for a short flight at 6am or so, and then drove to work 08:00 at Weybridge.

Can't beat it for that type of flying.
By QDMQDMQDM
04.30 take-off, landed on the beach, took a few pics, dropped the boy at school and I was in work by 08.00.
I used to do that sort of thing when I had the Slingsby T31 two minutes walk from the house on the farm. Now, it's urprising how a 15 minute drive to an airstrip takes away a lot of the spontaneity. I'll still go for a quick flight if passing, but as the Cub is group owned, you have to top up the tank after each flight ect, so flights tend to be more planned than they used to be.

SS