Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Timothy
TDM,

Don't get me wrong, I still think that the Thames/Heathrow Special controllers are the best in the world, bending over backwards to give the very best service to all comers.

All I am saying is that (quite rightly, as you say) they are treating the airspace as Class C.

I have no problem with that, there. But I do think that there are other places, Solent for example, where they could treat it as true Class D, as Luton largely do.
By Mike Tango
Personally I think Class C (at the lower levels being talked about here) is waste of time. For me it offers all the disadvantages of Class A and none of the advantages of Class D.

In some of the airspace being mentioned here I think the Class D is being operated quite pragmatically within the rules, restrictions, guidelines etc required of ATC. Certain things aren't done purely for fun and the picture is bigger than perhaps the zone transitter is always aware of. There is a balance to be struck, which I think in the busier airspace is mostly met. Change it to and operate it to strict Class C and I think you'd find it more restrictive to the lighter end of the customer base than Class D is perceived to be at the moment.